In Medias Res review by PMtoday

• Released: Apr 6, 2010
PMtoday: In Medias Res

Signing to a record label is a cherished achievement for artists and in this case, jumping onto the Rise Records rollercoaster is a big deal for PMtoday. The Arkansas progressive rock quartet have unveiled In Medias Res, their label debut for a company they share with groups like The Bled and The Devil Wears Prada. Straying slightly from the hardcore realm, PMtoday can be seen as a new day in a world of Vans Warped Tour fans as their sound isn't structured from pop punk riffs. Guitarists Connor and Cuin Brogan shred their way across the disc's ten tracks, transforming indie rock melodies into post-hardcore breakdowns with a hint of pop. The combination seems unrealistic and fake, but the outcome is almost breathtaking. Numerous bands have swayed from progressive rock set in stone by bands such as Coheed And Cambria and PMtoday rejuvenate it without undertones that are incredibly dark. Don't Exist starts like an indie pop track and turns into a constant battle of melodic riffs. Such unexpected turns are littered throughout the record, along with intense jam sessions reminiscent of The Mars Volta, leaving listeners hanging on to every moment the band conjures a breakdown.

Progressive rock demands a voice that's unique and powerful in tone and the vocals on In Medias Res don't disappoint. Influenced by bands like Circa Survive and Brand New, PMtoday's high-pitch croons support tracks like Composing A Commercial Product and People Are Machines nicely, but don't entirely flatter the sound the four members are emitting as one. They do power Sad World, kicking things into a different gear, but the fierce sound barely hangs by a string throughout the album. It does get support from the impressive songwriting as PMtoday shows its just not an ordinary band signed to a well-recognized label. Songs like I Am Wrong revolve around adolescent themes with lines like Am I wrong to assume every woman is just like you? / You fall in love so you can wear a dress, but there are several that are darker and artistic in a sense, as they speak of common subjects artists in other genres tell with simple lyrics.

It doesn't have a polished force behind it like albums from Coheed And Cambria and Circa Survive, but the sophomore full-length from PMtoday does reek of potential. Instead of blatantly talking about girls and trying to make every line rhyme, the band questions listeners with interesting lyrics and a sound that could seem nostalgic even though it was popular less than five years ago. A positive step forward from past material, In Medias Res is a record built around new talent and a sign that progressive rock is indeed still alive.

Stone Agean
    frankie1089 wrote: i like Nickelback and Creed and found this album to be quite splendid.
    This comment, I cannot understand.
    the Dustasaurus
    Yea I don't really understand that comment either.....but.....for what it's worth...I am from Arkansas and I am a HUGE PM Today fan...and this album is nothing short of amazing..
    Jon777
    travislausch
    nautiluspfd
    oh and i think what frankie1089 was trying to say is that he likes butt rock but still found this band enjoyable
    crazysam23_Atax
    travislausch wrote: There's nothing progressive about this band at all. In fact, it's the opposite, regressive rock. Same old shit as every other post-hardcore wannabe bands.
    I agree. What I really couldn't get was how this band can be compared to Coheed and Cambria. Also, the vocals...wtf? Ugh, sounds like every pop punk band out there. It's like someone shoved a nail through the singer's nose. Terrible, thin sounds with absolutely no power. If you're into progressive rock, you'll hate this band. If you're into pop punk, you'll think they're a new sound and are great. They just made me cringe.
    CODE
    This record/band is seriously amazing. They are going to be stereotyped more than anyone for being on Rise, some of the bands they tour with, and some of their fans, but they are still great and unique. Sure, they have some cliches in their music, but it often adds to how good they are.
    Ferrets!
    lolwut.
    travislausch
    I fail to see how cliche = good.
    CODE
    travislausch wrote: CODE wrote: Sure, they have some cliches in their music, but it often adds to how good they are. I fail to see how cliche = good.
    Adds fun to the music, sometimes. Sometimes. Some of the pop/punk stuff seems cliche, but they make it work.
    kacybraying
    I'm a huge progressive fan. I love The Mars Volta, The Sound of Animals Fighting, Closure in Moscow, Tides of Man, etc. And I effing love this album. I actually did an acoustic cover of "Don't Exist"