Arriving Somewhere [DVD] review by Pocrcupine Tree

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Content: 5
  • Production Quality: 9
Pocrcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere [DVD]

Pocrcupine had always been one of my favourite bands, everything about them was great; their music, sound and performance was always at top of my lists. Every player have mastered his term of piece. Steven Wilson had truley modified his guitar playing since the early PT days and you can sense it, he's always the speaking voice of the band and he just knows what he's doing production wise, and that's why PT albums are the "cleanest" of all bands in my honest opinion. Colin Edwin came from a ajzz beckround, and so did Gavin Harrison, and it can be showing by their poise pose and playing, though Harrison really took the drum kit to the next level, in my view he is one of the best or the best modern drummer of our time. And Richard Barbieri performance is just so I can call it a 21st century circus, because he is being sorrounded by computers and and keyboards all around him. Please, when ti comes to PT, 10 for the sound is totally reasonable.

Content — 5
The DVD comes with two CDs, the first one is the performance, which was captured in Chicago in 2005, the Second disc is the extras. Disc 1, the show was edited by Lasse Hoile, the man responible for PT art covers in the last few years. The set list' in my opinion is too short and contains too many propoganda songs, I would add more songs that aren't quite so poppy. Plus, I think the show is too short than a DVD show. Disc Two, the extras; this disc contains two songs from german TV show "RockPalast", one Lazarus video clip, edited by Lasse Hoile that shows the process of making the "Deadwing", which is kinda cool, and a few other songs videoclips. A cool adding to the DVD is the Gavin Harrison Cymbal Song, which is very cool. And the last thing is a photo gallery. All together the extras disc has about 8 items, which is, in my opinion not enough at all. I was kinda dissapointed at the extra's disc, and the show was amazing, with the performance only PT can give, the sound was amazing, but again, the set list was so-so. And another thing, I didn't liked the manue that much, it seemed kinda cheap and under whelmed.

Production Quality — 9
As I said, anything that has Stven Wilson in it, Has to get a great production. Porcupine Tree talked about the fact that they haven't realeased a DVD yet, so of course they'll make it special, Lasse Hoile edited the fottage from the show in his own unique style, the editing consists of his shots being projected in the back screen onstage (as in all of PT shows) and sometimes the cuts go to a very grainy and distorted filters, sometimes in Black and White too, it seems like quite a job was invested on the visual side. The sound is amazing aswell, being mastered as an actual record it hold steady and doesn't come off, credit goes to the band aswell, being responciple for their great sound onstage.

I really enjoyed the performance side and extras, but again, I think everything was too short, the production of the sound was really good and that's something that should be mentioned one more time, visually and sound wise, the DVD is really beautiful, concerning content, it's wasn't the best PT could make. I hope they'll release another DVD, the final grade for this DVD is a 7.