Poison's Greatest Hits: 1986-1996 review by Poison

• Released: Nov 26, 1996
Poison: Poison's Greatest Hits: 1986-1996

Well I'm not going to lie. Poison have just about the same sound to their music as every other "glam" band from that era, bands such as Warrant, Britny Fox and Winger. However, what makes this compilation CD from Glam Gods Poison far more superior to these acts is that Poison have taken that same old recycled sound, and turned it way up! From the first crunch of "Nothin' But A Good Time" to the last chord of "Lay Your Body Down" this CD is one of the loudest, most fun filled sounding albums of the last twenty years, thus bringing a new life to that old "hair metal" sound and creating a sound that can only be described in one word, "Poison".

Most of the lyrics on this album are what anyone who picks it up would expect them to be, sex, drugs and rock n' roll orientated. Songs like "Talk Dirty To Me", "I Want Action" and "Look What The Cat Dragged In" all tipify the Hollwood scene in the 80's, and, let's face it, take no major talent to write. However songs such as "Ride The Wind" "So Tell Me Why" and the more blues influenced "Stand" (Ritchie Kotzen, "Native Tongue") are very well structured in the lyrical department. Top marks also go to Bret Michaels for stretching his vocal chords and range for the massive choruses in numbers like "So Tell Me Why" and "Nothin' But A Good Time".

It is hard to give an overall impression of a Gretest Hits collection but I will say that the songs on this record are great numbers from the five different Poison albums that make up this CD. The strongest songs from this album are by far "Fallen Angel", the more hard rocking "Ride The Wind" and of course Poison's only number one hit, the beautiful three chord wonder "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". I would reccomend this album to anyone intersted in the genre of "hair metal", but if that's not your thing then don't look twice at it. If I lost this album I would not buy it again, I would rather buy all the original Poison albums which have many unknown gems on them that are completley underrated. "Greatest Hits albums are for housewives." Go out and buy an original Poison studio recording, and then, for all you "fakers" may you write a proper review of Poison.