The Opposite Of December review by Poison the Well

• Released: Dec 14, 1999
Poison the Well: The Opposite Of December

Probably the first melodic metalcore is also the best of the genre, nothing like Poison The Well could have made an album more great than this. "The Opposite of December" was released on a mystic and dark December of 1999, is the debut of the band, and also is the start of a new genre, the melodic metalcore. Of course, the 1st time, is never forgetting, this album is all a masterpiece, my ears exploted and my emotions was exploded the first time I've listen to "12/23/93," an frenetic battery, very well underground produced, melodic riffs and for moments, sweet arpeggios that change to different beautiful landscapes, but the best of the album, is the spectacular, brutal and very well worked breakdowns, in the whole album, the breakdowns don't slow the quality and are very variative, and not repetitive, specially in songs like "Slice Paper Wrists" and the unforgettable "Nerdy." No more words.

God, Jeffrey Moreira sometimes don't have a great voice, is not a thing of another world, but I fucking love the lyrics what create, his broken heart, pain, love, and sweetness are very well described in 28 minutes of darkness, and with is voice, his screams and melodic voice changes expresses them very fucking great (specially with "Nerdy"), is a festival without happiness, Jeffrey is very broken-hearted, yes, probably is the best thing to listen for the broken-hearted people, an album like this, was never ever better written, I don't have more words.

This album for me, is the best album of the melodic metalcore, the artwork, designed by the master Jacob Bannon, is beautiful, like the all works of him. "The Opposite of December" is addictive, the breakdowns on this album are brutal, sick, combined with the strong and twisted battery, also, the best of the album is the production of the music, is very dirty, and makes you wanna buy the album again if you lost it, Jeff's lyrics are probably the one of the best lyrics ever written for this genre. Probably them compares of much of melodic metalcore artists, but they was the first of create them, and the rest are very repetitive with the music, so, fuck them, haha, no, it's joke. The best songs on this album are "Artist's Rendering of Me," "Slice Paper Wrists," "Nerdy" and "To Mandate Heaven," no more words, 28 minutes of history.