You Come Before You review by Poison the Well

• Released: Jul 1, 2003
Poison the Well: You Come Before You

The sound? F**king heavy. That's the best way to describe the brutal onslaught of intelligent noise you get from every second of this album. It's definitely a sound that does not exactly present itself as accessible, with quick changes in tempo and noise level to be expected. This is hardcore at it's finest - raw, energetic music blended with devastating vocals from lead singer Jeffrey Moreira. The melody and the aggression are mixed to create a very heavy output, but neither seems to be out of place at any time. It just...works.

The lyrics are very emotional. I suppose in this respect PTW are simlilar to bands like From Autumn To Ashes, Atreyu and A Static Lullaby. You can never really make out the lyrics because of the screaming, but they are very good. It's all very arty, which can be said about the album as a whole, not just the lyrics, and Jeff's talent as a vocalist is also very strong.

Overall, it's a very consistent album, and one that fans of hardcore will enjoy. I have heard them compared musically to the likes of Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan and Zao, of which I have only heard selected tracks so cannot properly comment. It's an album I may well buy again if it were lost, but would most likely get a copy (illegal I know but I just don't have the money). The tracks "Ghostchant" and "Apathy Is A Cold Body" are my particular favourites, although most of the album is pretty solid.