You Come Before You Review

Poison the Well: You Come Before You
Released: Jul 1, 2003
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Metalcore
Label: Atlantic
"You Come Before You" is the third full-length album by American band Poison The Well.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 7.4
 7.5
 7.2
You Come Before You Reviewed by: tainted tears, on june 12, 2004

Sound: This is by far the worst poison the well cd. The sound is nothing like their old stuff. It sounds like they didnt even try to write a good riff to any of their songs. Most of it didnt go very well and destroyed the consistency of the songs. The singer sounded so horrible. It sounded like he was trying to be the guy from Hatebreed. They need to go back to the good stuff. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are still very much the only original thing in this band. Very deep and meaning full with the rage of Jeffrey Moreira's lyrics. But the screaming has to change. I dont mind when he goes low sometimes cause it can sound really good but he should stick to his higher scream. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, dont waste your time on this album. Its not worth your time or money unless you really want hardcore to be 'popular'. Which would then destroy the genre in itself. So don't buy this one. Buy the opposite of December or Tear From The Red and you will see what I mean. // 2

You Come Before You Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on april 20, 2004

Sound: The sound? F**king heavy. That's the best way to describe the brutal onslaught of intelligent noise you get from every second of this album. It's definitely a sound that does not exactly present itself as accessible, with quick changes in tempo and noise level to be expected. This is hardcore at it's finest - raw, energetic music blended with devastating vocals from lead singer Jeffrey Moreira. The melody and the aggression are mixed to create a very heavy output, but neither seems to be out of place at any time. It just...works. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emotional. I suppose in this respect PTW are simlilar to bands like From Autumn To Ashes, Atreyu and A Static Lullaby. You can never really make out the lyrics because of the screaming, but they are very good. It's all very arty, which can be said about the album as a whole, not just the lyrics, and Jeff's talent as a vocalist is also very strong. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a very consistent album, and one that fans of hardcore will enjoy. I have heard them compared musically to the likes of Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan and Zao, of which I have only heard selected tracks so cannot properly comment. It's an album I may well buy again if it were lost, but would most likely get a copy (illegal I know but I just don't have the money). The tracks "Ghostchant" and "Apathy Is A Cold Body" are my particular favourites, although most of the album is pretty solid. // 8

You Come Before You Reviewed by: defaultmonky, on april 04, 2006

Sound: Probably one the best sounding albums I have ever heard, competes with the likes of dillinger and crew. Guitars at points are clean and have really soft tones and then on tracks like crystal lake the distortion is really used to full effeect to create a brutal sound. The best aspect of the album is the inter change between mellow to hardcore-esque beatdowns, for example on meeting again for the first time. Rhythm sectoin as usual are awesome with some inspired drumming. However the vocals are immense. Ever have I heard such perfect screaming (apart from Dillinger) to Synester melodic singing. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics in general are what you expect from a band the calliber of poison the well. Passionate and personal experiences rather than 'I spill my hear for you' emo shit. The lyrics and vocals make the album all he more better. // 9

Overall Impression: 2003 was heaven for me my three favourite bands releasing their best albums. Dillinger, Miss Machine, Poison The Wellm, You Come Before You and The Bled, Pass The Flash. In this group I would put poison the well second however You Come Before You remains in my top ten albums of all time. // 10

Comments