Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out [DVD] review by Police

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Police: Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out [DVD]

It breaks my heart to say that, if anything, the sound quality can only be described as poor. But, as with anything, the date that the footage in this film was filmed has to be taken into consideration. The footage in this documentary was filmed on two decent quality portable movie cameras in the late '70s and early '80s. Even with the poor, portable sound quality in mind, the quality of the footage from The Police playing their live sets isnt brilliant but can't exactly be described as bad. Some sound recordings of live bands on video cameras sound worse than awful but this one isn't too bad. If I could use one word to describe the quality of sound, it would be that it is decent, not good, but, at the same time, not bad. I would also like to say that I love some of the Police remixes on this documentary (such as 'I Can't I Can't' and 'Put Out The Red Light').

Content — 10
This film is directed and filmed from a drummers point of veiw which gives the film a sense of reality and closeness to the band that most other documentaries and films just can't touch. The live footage is also unique as, instead of seeing the gig from the audiences veiw, you see the gig from the drummers place on the stage, which is something new to me and probobly most people who see 'Everyone Stares'. There is also extra footage on the special features menu of extra live gigs and of the footage that didn't make the final film.

Production Quality — 9
The Copelands have really spent time on this. Stewart has devoted a hell of a lot of his time to filming and producing this documentary (he started filming in 1978 and finished in 1984). The interactive menus and pretty good too, unlike some documentary menu's that you get these days. Everything seems thought about and carefully planned. I am also slightly embarresed to say that in the first week of getting it, I had watched it 3 times, night after night, that's how hooked it got me! If the production was bad, then I would have watched it once and put it back on the shelf.

Maybe I am slightly biast, but I love anything to do with The Police, and when this came out, I just had to have it. This documentary takes the veiwer to a place where a fan is restricted to go, behind the scenes. It takes you to the places that most people would litterally kill to get to, and quiet frankly so would I (although I might not go as far as killing). A must-have for any Police fanatic.

epiphonist13
    POLICE KICK ASS! idk if ill buy it but ill definitely borrow it from a friend! WOO! FIRST POST!
    CrustieSlicer
    It may over all suck, but the Policce are awesome, and my opinion wont change about them, just because of a movie.
    belavista man
    i wasn't tryin to say that it sucks, i was just tryin to say that it could have been better in some areas
    Sgt. Pepper
    I think the sound quality is quite good, the only really bad points are when his camera battery is running out and the live performance of "Next to You". Great documentary, I think, but I'd like to see more music. But Andy Summers just steals the show! "Andy at the Blue Boar!" Now that is funny.