Ghost In The Machine review by Police

Police: Ghost In The Machine

The Police's 1981, third studio album, Ghost in the Machine, touched new grounds in terms of sound and lyrics. However the reggae undertones the Police was famous for has been suppressed greatly in this album. The first song, "Spirits in the Material World" starts out with a reggae like guitar riff synced with a synthesizer. It's a dark tone and has new elements such as synth and a keyboard. "Every Litte Thing She Does Is Magic" was the world wide hit and undoubtedly my favorite Police. it's a great song and has a lasting appeal after my 83 plays of the song. A definite hit. "Invisible Sun" the third song, is darker and shows Sting's lyrical talent. It's a dark song, along the lines of the opening track, criticizing the Ireland War. The next 5 songs are fillers in my opinion and get dull. "One World" has a good but repetitive bass line, and "Demolition Man" shows some of Andy Summers's talent. The last 3 songs are when things pick up again and they follow the lines of the first and third songs. "Omegaman","Secret Darkness", and "Darkness" continue the theme of the material world.

The lyrics on the album are more sophisticated than on previous albums. Sting has started to evolve his subjects and themes. Personally, I look up to Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) lyrics the best and I favor sophisticated topics. But the Police were normally a pop band and losing their reggae influence, made me feel as if something was being lost.

Overall, Ghost in the Machine was a different turn for the Police and a branching of musical style. However just like Roger Waters started taking control of Pink Floyd, Sting started to let his ego get the best of him. Synchronicity, their last album, was a bit more refined than this album and I would recommend that over this. The album could have been stronger had the other members given more input and they worked all together. But the strength of "Every Little Thing..." bumps this up to an 8.

CoLDFiRE73
    My favorite Police album would be either Reggatta de Blanc or Zenyatta Mondatta.
    Sgt. Pepper
    I feel 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' sounds nothing like the Police. The many layers of synth just wreck parts of the song. Sting recorded the song as a demo with a session keyboardist and Stewart Copleland and Andy Summers were forced to fit themselves around it. They hardly played it live because they didn't like it. Best song on the album? Secret Journey. Best Police cut? Message In a Bottle. I agree with you, Regatta de Blanc is the best Police album.