Regatta De Blanc review by Police

Police: Regatta De Blanc

The overall feel to the album is a reggae kinda sound, Andy Summer's textured guitar is seen in 'Bring On The Night' and 'Message In A Bottle', though the complaints would be that you can't make out the lyrics on 'No Time Like This' and Stewart Copeland's singing is terrible on 'Any Other Day' the grammy award winning title track and Message In a Bottle make up for it. The song 'Contact' is unlistenable and 'The Beds Too Big Without You' are both bad tracks in my case. I think they were put in as fillers. 'Walking On The Moon' has grown on me now, though I think the lyrics arn't thought out well. But Sting is an ace songwriter, he writes well when he want too, and when he writes bad.

Sting is a great singer, but on my old vinglys he blends into the music too well, his voice is very high pitched and his lyrics are like ostinatos, on 'Message In A Bottle' all he does is sing 'Message In A Bottle' again and again for the chorus, the veres make up for it. But how can this album ever compared to the lyrics of 'Roxanne' and 'I Can't Stand Losing You' on their previous album.

Alround the Police had grown up musically since 1978, they've stopped trying to pose themsevles as blonde-haired-punks and have concentrated more on a less rough, smooth around the edge to-the-note style of writing. Like most Police albums, you have to keep changing the sides to avoid the unlistenable tracks. ('Contact' and 'The Beds Too Big Without You') Top tracks are Message In A Bottle, Regatta De Blanc, It's Alright For You, Bring On the Night.