The Police review by Police

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
Police: The Police

The brand new 2007 album is brimming with Police hits such as 'Message In A Bottle', 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' and the timeless classic 'Every Breath You Take'. Nothing new I'm afraid but as far as sound goes, some great sounding Fender basses and a slightly over chorused Tele. Overall? Very '80s but exactly what you would expect from an 80's band don't you think? The brand new 2007 album is brimming with Police hits such as 'Message In A Bottle', 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' and the timeless classic 'Every Breath You Take'. Nothing new I'm afraid but as far as sound goes, some great sounding Fender basses and a slightly over chorused Tele. Overall? Very '80s but exactly what you would expect from an 80's band don't you think?

Sting prides himself on writing lyrics that have significant meaning. However I would rather listen to meaningless songs than spend listening time trying to discover what exactly is being put across. That said, every vocal on here is top, notch. Sting's distinctive voice works well with the syncopation of the drums and bass as well as fitting in around them. How he does it live I have no idea. Great harmonies from the other band members work well too.

I bought this album for one reason and that is because I had to. As a bassist and guitarist I could see the vast amount of musical talent this band possesses. But let me get this straight. I am not a Police fan. This means that everything I have said is true, unbiased. However it is a crime in the musical world today to say that you 'hate' the Police. You can see why people love this band just by listening to this CD. The highlights for me are Synchronicity 's 'Every Breath You Take' and Outlandos d'Amour's 'Roxanne' and 'So Lonely'. It's hard to find something wrong with a greatest hits album because, well these are the greatest hits but looking at everything from a musical perspective, everything is impossible to criticise. Be ready for obscure sounds and strange lyrics but a nice relaxed Ska/Reggae/Rock sound. Perfect for a musician like me that has always been aware of the Police but never seen why people rave on about a band like this so much. Give it a try.

Incubus=Science
    merfsullivan
    Although Sting's lyrics are all meaningful, you don't have to put any effort into "discovering" their meaning. They're intelligent, but they're all still clear and accessible to those of all intelligence levels.
    Nebblacktip
    Incubus=Science wrote: Wow i hate to say it but giving this album anything around an 8 is complettely ignorant. This is one of the greatest albums of the 80's
    Unlrdd, y'know, you're not a fan of the police. I'm glad that someone actually reviewed something they're not a fan of and gave it an unbiased rating off of that. An eight seems completely fair to me, since i'm not a fan of the police personally, but can't deny that sting and his crew are solid musicians. Good review.
    verythomas
    I'm also not a big Police fan but there's some stuff I like, Roxanne and So Lonely are two of my favourites. Nice review!
    belavista man
    This isn't an album from the 80s. It's a "best of" collection, combining hits with rarities. Just thought I'd point that out...
    belavista man
    Oh, btw. I agree with the review totally. Nice one. But I don't think that 'Every Breath You Take' is a highlight of this collection. Unless I'm very much mistaken, 'Demolition Man', 'Rehumanize Yourself' and 'Driven To Tears' are on here. These three songs are all better than EBYT, in my oppinion. Maybe it's because EBYT is over-played (but not over-rated), I dunno. I agree that Andy's tele uses a little too much chorus, which is a shame, but he still makes it work. I find it odd how he can use too much chorus though, because the switch for it is literally right next to his finger (the effect is built into his guitar). There are alot of guitar overdubs on here too, which makes it dificult to understand how they do it live... Good review! And that's from me (the guy who critisizes anybody who tries to review something that I like to review myself lol) Just one more thing. The lyrics arn't THAT hard to find the meaning of lol. It's not exactlyt The Da Vinci Code...