The Police review by Police

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
Police: The Police

When you buy a "Best Of" compilation, you expect the best tracks from that artist, and you get most of the best from The Police on here, starting with their first ever, punk'd up recording; "Fall Out", written by Stewart Copeland. It's always a good thing to see the lesser known classics on a collection as well as the hits that were released and loved. On 'The Police', non-single masterpieces include songs from Outlandos d'Amour (Hole In My Life, Next To You) through to tracks off The Police's final recording, Synchronicity (Murder By Numbers, Walking In Your Footsteps), whilst exploring the unsung wonders of Regatta De Blanc (Regatta De Blanc, Bring On The Night), Zenyatta Mondatta (Canary In A Coalmine, Driven To Tears) and Ghost In The Machine (Demolition Man, Rehumanize Yourself) somewhere in between the two. In my mind, the finest recordings all hail from the first disc on here. Though the other disc contains classics like Every Breath You Take, The Police seem to have abandoned their roots and changed into something new. I prefared The Police's signature "reggae-rock" held in songs like Can't Stand Losing You, Walking On The Moon and Roxanne. though, saying that, some of my favourite Police songs are less reggae orientated (Message In A Bottle, Wrapped Around Your Finger), and I'm sure that many will agree. No matter what the song is, or what the main focus of genre it seems to emanate, Sting's catchy bass-lines, Andy's firm rhythm and chorus/reverb influenced guitar parts, combined with Stewart's complicated yet firmly driven drum beats provide a never-aging classic every time.

I've always thought Sting to be a remarkable lyricist, as well as an amazing singer/bassist. The lyrics in some of the later hits (as well as the earlier) managed to capture millions by the ears in a single listen. Although some of the songs may seem to have a ridiculous meaning behind the lyrics (Synchronicity II, De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da), there's still something magical about them that compels you to listen further. Other songs (Every Breath You Take, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Can't Stand Losing You) just have you hooked from the first word.

Taking the best from every album can be a difficult and grueling task for most, and since The Police were once hailed as "The Biggest Group In The World", choosing all the songs on here must have taken the difficulty and enhanced it ten-fold. Sadly, I think that some great songs like Lowlife, Man In a Suitcase, Bombs Away, When The World Is Running Down and countless others have been missed from this collection. Though these classics (in my eyes, they are classics) are missing, others like Canary In A Coalmine, Next To You and Synchronicity I make up for the loss extremely well. Fantastic effort overall, I must say. It's a hell of a lot better than the first Greatest Hits that they released.