Purgatory Dance Party review by Polkadot Cadaver

• Released: Nov 27, 2007
Polkadot Cadaver: Purgatory Dance Party

This is quite suspicious to hear a CD starting with jingling bells. Especially when you know you were buying a metal album. The second track in Purgatory Dance Party puts everything in the right places -- haunting piano, tragic chorus and punk-rock drums. You know you're into something special. Purgatory Dance Party is the debut album from Baltimore based alt-metal band Polkadot Cadaver. It sounds too good to be the first record and that's no wonder -- before becoming what they are now, the members had formed another group -- Dog Fashion Disco. The new band was created to unleash schizophrenic madness. The debut just proves they achieved the aim. The opener A Long Strange Trip to Paradise is not the only odd track on the record. Apart from Chloroform Girl that sounds pretty much like it, the whole CD reminds of a freak cabaret. The current fashion for noise, as well as electronic flourishes didn't pass Polkadot Cadaver. A lot of the songs are electronic-driven, which puts a lot of diversity into metal as a genre. Phantom Limb with its accordion parts are what Gogol Bordello would sound like, had Eugene Hutz gone into metal. You'll find a variety of instruments on the record -- such as an organ in the beginning of Death Wish, most of them (I guess) created by computer with an exception of saxophone by guest Matt Rippetoe. In What's The Worst Thing guitarist Jasan Stepp makes a mediocre attempt to play a Slayer-influenced riff. Not very original, but it works for the song.

The guys are definitely not trying to change the world with their songs. They write about whatever comes to their minds -- their native Baltimore, plane crashes, narcissistic models. I'd say Todd Smith borrowed a lot from Marilyn Manson when it comes to manners, intense and sudden changes -- this is about aggressive songs. When it comes to those soft exceptions Haunted Holiday and Sole Survivor, it's more like Beatles' sweet meowing. In Brainwash sometimes it's hard to understand if that's Smith or a female guest vocalist singing. Another computer effect? If yes, it's worth it!

Nothing to do with music, but I just couldn't resist to mention it -- the cover of the CD was probably designed for one of Smith and company's albums with the previous project Dog Fashion Disco. Good thing about the album - songs are different from each other -- not a very frequent occasion these days, you know. The majority of the tracks are radio-friendly, sometimes even commercially-oriented and partly danceable (like Bring Me The Head of Andy Warhol). It never goes too deep, though, and I don't think the guys tried to shape the music according to some formulas or control their emotions while recording. They've never achieved commercial success with their previous band, neither will they with this one, but it's a decent record worthy to take a place in your CD collection.

Dallen_007
    noahray wrote: great, they're trying to bring scene kid faggotry into metal now
    They are experimenting you close minded moron.
    Skabug
    Both Dog Fashion Disco and Polkadot Cadaver are GREAT bands, and I'm a really big fan =D I love Todd Smith's way of thinking when it comes to music and lyric! - Althou Alter Boys is kinda faggy xD But apart from that, I'm really impressed with Smith's work with Polkadot Cadaver. I'm really into experimental and other sh1t like that =D But, could anyone tab Sole Survivor? It would look good on my guitar And to noahray/fagget: If you can't use your brain enough to write anything a little more worth reading then fck off this forum and listen your gangsta rap or any other crp >_>
    ironman316
    Never heard of them of Dog Fashion Disco, but your review got me interested... lol. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check them out.
    xthpsgodx
    Dog Fashion Disco was an amazing band but I just really hope this new project isn't a continuation under another name and actually goes new places.
    bdubbs4420
    dog fashion disco was tight shit to they have some songs sound liek metal some just go around all trippy sounding.. took a lil to get used to but damn there music is put together great both of these bands lol noahray they and scence u ****ing dipshit
    jimmyjimjim
    dog fashion disco and purgatory dance party? what's with the weird dance names? and for a featured review, there is some naughty grammar
    UG wrote: neither will they with this one
    nor!
    noahray
    They are experimenting you close minded moron.
    or, they're bringing experimental faggotry into metal.
    DanD
    I didn't know that only scene kids listened to Dog Fashion Disco This is a decent album, admittedly I haven't had much time to really listen to it, though
    dfd4ever
    Dog Fashion Disco was a great band who toured non-stop for 10 plus yrs. They chose not to sell-out like many of their peers and disbanded Jan 07. Their final album Adultery is a masterpiece. Polkadot Cadaver made a killer debut album and hopefully their label will support them financially so they can tour non-stop like Dog Fashion Disco. So far only 2 shows are scheduled, Cleveland and Baltimore but I'm sure many more will be scheduled. This band is too good not to tour worldwide.
    f1sk
    i'm into experimental music and i've heard some damn bad song writing but this is a whole new level, its like a shitty version of a7x mixed with a shitty version of afi and shaken with something else that is horrible + lame voice, boring guitars etc