Deadwing review by Porcupine Tree

• Released: Apr 26, 2005
Porcupine Tree: Deadwing

Porcupine Tree. What are they? Are they metal? Are they progressive rock? Are they electronica? Nope. They are none of these, yet all at the same time. They are impossible to define, but they make damn good music. Deadwing is probably their most commercially appealing album to date, as it adds more of the metal elements that seem to be flavour of the month. However, as a bit of a metal-head, this album is probably my favourite out of the three I own/have heard. Anyway, on with the review! The general sound of the guitars is good, due to the PRS guitars, "Bad Cat" amps, and the Native Instruments modelling used on this album. The clean sounds ring out nice and well, clean. The distortion sounds awesome, and the Acoustic bits sound great aswell. What more could you ask?

To be honest, I haven't listened too much to the lyrics. However, I do know that this is a concept album based on a film script that Steven Wilson (Guitars, Vocals, Main songwriter) and a friend wrote together. The lyrics that I have read into are pretty good, especially on "Arriving Somewhere... But Not Here". The film is being made, and once it has been released, I'm sure the story will become clear, but for now, no-one really knows for sure. There are a few theories on Wikipedia for the story behind the songs, but it is mainly speculation. Steven Wilson has quite a good voice, which I can enjoy listening to. The harmony vocals are usually done by him or by Mikael kerfeldt (from Opeth), who guests on a few tracks (It is also worth taking note that Mikael also played one of the solos on the song 'Arriving Somewhere... But Not Here'. It is not clear which solo, as it just says 'second solo' in the album sleeve, and many different parts can be interpteted as solos. However, as there is one solo which Steve Wilson doesn't play live in this song it is played by their live second guitarist, John Wesley, I assume it's this one).

Compared to the other albums, this is my favourite. It has the right mix of progressive, metal and acousticness (is that a word?) that makes me listen to this album over and over again. My favourite songs are probably Shallow, Lazarus, Open Car and Arriving Somewhere... But Not Here. They all show a different side to Porcupine Tree, and add to the album's appeal. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy it again, or at least get it on insurance. This is definitely a keeper.

CaptainSBDA
    "Open Car" has a MONSTER riff. I love it. And in my opinion, "The Start of Something Beautiful" is not only the best on this disc but my favorite PT song.