Deadwing review by Porcupine Tree

• Released: Apr 26, 2005
Porcupine Tree: Deadwing

This is definitely one of the best sounding albums I have, and, funnily enough, Steven Wilson doesn't use an amp to get most of his guitar's sounds (he uses a Line 6 POD). What I really love about this album is the great contrasts it has. The heavy-rocking, high-distortion Shallow flows right into the low-key, piano-based Lazarus, which almost baffles me.

I've read reviews on the internet that claim that Wilson's voice doesn't fit with the music behind him, especially on the harder-rocking songs. On the other hand, I feel it fits perfectly, making softer tracks beautiful and harder tracks almost eerie. Supposedly, the lyrics (and songs, for that matter) are supposed to tie to a screenplay that Steven is coming up with, but I haven't heard much on that matter. Regardless, while the lyrics aren't extremely deep and complex, they really enhance the song (like in the beginning of Arriving Somewhere But Not Here), and I can see a story that they could weave if adapted.

Though I cannot say I've listened to hundreds of albums, as of right now, Deadwing is in my top 5. It flows perfectly from start to finish, picking you up at the first chord of Deadwing and releasing you only as the scratching of the phonograph on Glass Arm Shattering Fades out (unless, of course, you have the bonus track version). While there is not a single weak song, in my opinion, the best are Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Deadwing, and Shallow. Anyone fan of any genre of music should at least give this album a listen, for it is a masterpiece.