In Absentia review by Porcupine Tree

• Released: Sep 24, 2002
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia

Just recentley I was turned on to a band by the name of Porcupine Tree. I picked up the album "In Absentia," and quite honestly loved it. The first thing I really noticed was their Pink Floyd-esk sound, but what was even more satisfying about the band was their abillity to get heavy on ya' in a moments notice. So the best way possible to sum up their sound is a touch of Pink Floyd with a hint of Kings X for a sound all their own. The music itself, though wondeful, is something you'll have to aquire a taste for it is a little slow in the sense that it builds up that dramatic tension, but that tension only makes the climax so much better. Once you are able to sit and listen to these songs in their fullness you can enjoy all of the little things that make the album what it is.

The stongest impresion I drew from the lyrics was deep. Deep and a little confusing. When I say confusing I don't mean that you can't make out what their saying it's one of those things when you just need to sit down and thik about what wsa just said. One of the more pronounced features of the band is how nice the tone of the music melds with the tone of the lyrics. The chemistry between lyrics and music was great, but sometimes left me wondering what I was listening to. When they journeyed in those areas it was a big dose of the drowzy medicine. Pertaining to the singer himself he's good, but sometimes comes up a little thin. We'll just say his voice is perfect for the music he sings. If he were anywhere else I wouldn't pay him much mind.

In comparison to other albums I would have to say it bares no resemblence to any one album. The song that kind of tossed me back was "The Sound Of Muzak" it's an acoustic song with just a killer melodic feel to it. It just flowed so perfectly and everything fit so well this would actually sum up most of the album. I absolutely loved their sound thats the first thing that hit me. What I wasn't so impressed with was the fact that in some songs lost their sound a little bit you know kind of got boring, but things allways picked up. If this album were lost/stolen I would go pick it up again it's worth it.