In Absentia review by Porcupine Tree

• Released: Sep 24, 2002
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia

This is amazing. This masterpiece kicks off with The Blackest Eyes. One of PT's more rockin tracks. With a beuatiful chorus. A very nice opener to get you a bit pumped. And as always Steven Wilson sings like a God. Then, heaven opens up and welcomes you in. The intro makes me shiver til I get inner frost. Trains. One of the best songs ever made, in my opinion. It just doesnt get better. Pure beauty and bliss. The album then moves on with many beautiful highlights. The other thing about this album is that it has so much to offer. The more heavy parts of Blackest Eyes and Wedding Nails to the more beautiful parts in Sound Of Muzak and Gravity Eyelids. To end it all is maybe the saddest and best ballad ever, Collapse The Light Into Earth. Everything is perfect with this song, and it leaves you stunned. Sound highlights: Steven Wilsons voice! And everything with Trains.

I havent really read all the lyrics. I know it is a concept album and that it deals with serial killers. I love singing along with Collapse The Light Into Earth, but it's hard 'cause Steven Wilsons got an amazing voice. He has so much control with it and it's so soothing. He is one of my favourite singers, his voice is just good to listen to.

This is definitely Porcupine Tree's masterpiece. They have made albums almost as good, and sometimes I think Lightbulb Sun is better then In Absentia, but then I listen to In Absentia and I understand that this is better. If you are new to PT, get In Absentia, then Lightbulb Sun, then their newest, Deadwing, then Stupid Dream. I would defifntely buy it again if it got stolen! The most impressive song on the album is Trains. No question. If you are in doubt if, download it, then buy the album. You might have to give the album a couple of spins, but then, it hits you, and its perfection.