Stupid Dream review by Porcupine Tree

• Released: Apr 6, 1999
Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream

Back in the nineties, pop music dominated the scene. After a few albums that focused more on progressive/Floyd spacinesss, Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree released this monster of an album. The title of "Stupid Dream" comes from that dream that musicians have that has them thinking that the music industry is a good thing. In truth, you're selling yourself out a lot of the time. So, what does Wilson do relating to this dream? He releases the best pop music you will ever hear. The general sound throughout the entire album is epic pop (As evident by the brilliant opener "Even Less") and prog rock. Progressive music does come in tracks such as "A Smart Kid" and "Baby Dream in Cellophane."

The lyrics, as usual, are brilliant. The brilliantly catchy single "Piano Lessons" tells of how music really seems to come these days ("I come in value packs of ten... in five varieties.") That statement delivered in a catchy pop package: pure satirical brilliance. "Pure Narcotic," "Slave Called Shiver," and "Don't Hate Me" all share the theme of someone who loves someone who doesn't love them back. "A Smart Kid" tells of someone left stranded on Earth after a "chemical harvest." All of this delivered in Steven Wilson's brilliant voice. Top-notch.

It's hard to compare PT's albums because they are all so brilliant, but this is their best in my opinion. All of the music here is brilliant in every aspect; I don't think these guys could have made it any better than this. This gets my vote for greatest pop album and greatest album of the nineties. Sheer brilliance.

CaptainSBDA
    Here's part of my review that got cut out for some reason: 1. Even Less- Probably the best track on the album. It's the most epic pop song you will ever hear. This version was shortened from the original 16 minute version, but it's still brilliant. 5/5 2. Piano Lessons- Probably the catchiest song I have ever heard in my life. Perfect choice for a single. 5/5 3. Stupid Dream- 28 second filler piece. 4. Pure Narcotic- Very catchy acoustic guitar/piano ballad. 5/5 5. Slave Called Shiver- Awesome bassline. 5/5 6. Don't Hate Me- Moody Floyd-esqe piece with an amazing saxophone/flute solo section. 5/5 7. This is No Rehearsal- Catchy rock song. Primarily acoustic, but it does have a crazy riff after the chorus. 5/5 8. Baby Dream in Cellophane- Floyd-esque piece with a very melodic chorus. 4/5 9. Stranger by the Minute- Very catchy; almost as much as "Piano Lessons." 5/5 10. A Smart Kid- Basically as close to Pink Floyd as you can imagine. PT pulls it off brilliantly. 4/5 11. Tinto Brass- One of the oddest instrumental tracks you will ever hear; I suppose that's what makes it so awesome. 5/5 12. Stop Swimming- The only track I really don't like a lot. 3/5