Stupid Dream review by Porcupine Tree

• Released: Apr 6, 1999
Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream

Okay this is a strange band. They are both heavy and dark. Then sometimes they are almost anthemish like in Piano Lessons. That reminds me of Smells Like Teen Spirit believe it or not. The chord progression build up seems rather standard but with the additional help of synths and extra guitars, the overall effect is astounding. This goes for all songs. Even Less is a great way to start off the album. The bassist is very talented and is not afraid to stand out. He does a very good job on Slave Called Shiver. Steven Wilson uses some really cool sound effects with his guitar and his Line 6 POD. Yay!

Steven Wilson is a Brit so you know the lyrics will probably be intriguing. Floyd's were and this band seems to model off the Floyd slightly. For instance on Even Less, the intro is a slow fade in followed by a thick and distorted slide guitar which does soe dark melodies after doing a riff off of a D-shaped chord. The the band comes in and blows the house down. The synths added to the melody greatly. The lyrics on Even Less are some of the best on the album. The opening line is rather odd: "A body is washed up on a Norfolk beach". Or something like that. Piano Lessons tells a story and those are good too.

The only thing stupid about this album is the third song Stupid Dream. It seems to just be some ambient noise that has a rythm to it. A song that is the same as the album title ought to be more than just that. Other than that I see no real reason to complain. I would recomend this album to anyone who likes both Rush and Tool. Oh, and best songs on the album are as follows: Piano Lessons, Even Less, Baby Dream In Cellophane, Slave Called Shiver, and This is no Rehearsal.

pangui
    This CD is brilliant! The only thing I don't like is when the lyrics are about the music industry in a satirical way. I can't stand those kinds of lyrics. But the flute/sax solos in Don't Hate Me makes this CD for me, since I'm a sax player. I love it
    roundwoundsound
    i just started getting into PT,but i love them to death already! this,imo is one of their best cd's,and can you believe that pitchfork media had the nerve to give this album a 3.5/10?!?! damn,those morons wouldn't know good music if it crawled up their ass and around the corner.they can't rate for shit!!
    sgwizard92
    Hi everybody. This album is incredible. A Smart Kid, Baby Dream in Cellophane, and, OF COURSE, PURE NARCOTIC are standouts.