The Incident review by Porcupine Tree

• Released: Sep 14, 2009
Porcupine Tree: The Incident

The newest installment from the Brit Progressive Rock band Porcupine Tree. It is technically one massive 55 minute song. It starts with some strong metallic guitar chords which pull you into the album, flowing nicely into the first melodic song. It really is a lot different to their previous record (Fear of a blank Planet) in which it isn't quite a metal influenced. Although don't get me wrong, it still has their distortion effects from high pitches to low rumbles. It is really remarkable how Steven Wilson goes from heavyish guitar to flow directly into a really relaxing piano part with acoustic guitar. Anyway, there is so much about this album it is getting quite hard to describe it. Apparently the album got it's name when Steven Wilson was driving and came upon a car accident and there was a sign which said "POLICE - INCIDENT" and he reflected on how cold the phrase Incident was and looked into other "Incidents". As per usual, they have got their Radiohead influence showing but have also got some very Muse like moments in the middle of the album as well as some Nine Inch Nail style guitar and drum beats. Also the Album is mastered for 5.1 surround to give it that extra something for people who appreciate the production half of the album. Also, this album comes as a 2 CD pack with an EP with 4 more stand alone songs on it. I have been listening to this since it came out a few weeks ago and ever time I listen to it I constantly hear something new.

This album is not as lyric orientated as what FOABP was. It is more about the instrument parts and the way it was all put together. Almost as if PT created the music and Steven Wilson put the lyrics over the top. A few good parts but it is very basic lyric writing. Although on the other hand, Steven is a talented vocalist and brings some very good harmonies into it and he is one of the few people that can pull of a falsetto voice.

This is a huge step forward for PT, in my opinion, to get them back to the days of "In Absentia". And it is also getting a bit more publicity now that PT are with Roadrunner Records so a lot more younger people are getting into them more these days now. Their single type song "Time Flies" is a great song even if it sounds like Pink Floyd's "Dogs" from "Animals". "Great Expectations" is another brilliant song which goes from a soft guitar drive to high electric guitar to mellow piano and acoustic guitar with a beautiful vocal harmony. I love how everything is connected in this album and the start is brought back half way through to have a sense of theme and remind the listener that this is the same song essentially. The other members of the band also give their inputs like Gavin Harrison's little simple yet effective fills and complex drumming patterns. Also the inclusion of the EP gives the listener something else to look forward to when they have finished the initial album. If it were Lost or Stolen I would buy this again and again without the thought of downloading cross my mind. This is an exceptional album and highly recommend it to anyone regardless of musical taste.