Evil Friends review by Portugal. The Man

• Released: Jun 4, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Portugal. The Man: Evil Friends

Portugal. The Man fans are probably wondering where they've got to. The prolific psych-rock quartet are usually quick to distribute their free-form ideas, once or twice a year if they can manage it, but it's been a very conventional two years since their last effort "In the Mountain in the Cloud" had its way with us, rolling like a katamari across decades of music and holding onto whatever sounds stuck. One possible explanation for the wait is that they had to secure the services of award-winning producer Danger Mouse, aka Brian Burton; a man who makes his living by extracting hit records from strange ideas. Think of his work with Beck and Gorillaz when you imagine new album "Evil Friends" - ignore that one he did with Norah Jones. The impact is not immediately obvious. If you can picture chirpy piano, lo-fi drum machines and fuzzy synths being stuck in a blender, splashed across the canvas and only reluctantly wiped up then you're already halfway there. Burton has a slightly rougher approach to production, however, and isn't afraid to leave a few unsightly specks of paint on the final product. This works nicely for the dirty garage rock of "Hip Hop Kids" and the title track, but the most convincing musical content is piano-led, and the hooks that follow are often at odds with Burton's mixing. The jubilant Primal Scream-isms of "Holy Roller (Hallelujah)" are about the only time when all the elements are pulled together smoothly, but even then the band are only really hitting third gear.

Besides being laid back, apathetic and keen to prove it ("I'm just a creep in a t-shirt, I don't f--king care," "All you hip-hop kids think we give a sh-t ... well, we don't"), John Gourley's lyrics are typically quirky and thought-provoking. He sticks to the upper reaches of his range for the most part, constantly plugged in, constantly engaging and coming up with some lovely chants without betraying the appearance of a guy who just isn't interested.

For such a forward-thinking band, Portugal. The Man's progression hasn't been as pronounced as it could have been - "Evil Friends" doesn't feel like a confident step in any direction. The style is not unwelcome, the timing is right for summer and fans will still find plenty to enjoy but don't expect to be blown away.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

jexic
    I'm pretty disappointed. I'm a big fan of theirs, but seem to only care for Purple Yellow Red & Blue on this album.
    Bruntti
    Evil Friends, Atomic Man and Purple Yellow Red & Blue are the only songs that really grabbed me. It's not a bad album, it's just kinda meh.
    crazysam23_Atax
    To be fair, I don't think this band ever blew anyone away, except its fanboys. And that's not a bad thing; it's just a thing. /shrug
    Jozef23
    Yes, these guys do have a cult following. But they're also one of those bands who are heaps popular without being mainstream. People like bands which are odd these days, and Portugal. are most definitely one of these bands
    Rick_Diculous
    I was extremely impressed. I think this is their best work and one of the better albums I have heard in a long, long time. Modern Jesus is a definite highlight of the album. I can't believe a band one-upped QOTSA today.
    ZomBBoognish
    Man I'm a huge fan and like the new album, but over all you really think it's a better album than Like Clockwork?
    irotinmyskin
    i wasn't really a fan, thanks to this album i am now.. i loved it, i think it's fantastic. plastic soldiers is my favorite track
    beatnikpolice
    I'm thoroughly disappointed. Portugal has been one of my favorite bands since Censored Colors. I miss the chill-ness of Salt and Colors and 1989. I could accept the changes on In The Mountain In The Cloud but this one is just ehh. It's just noise compared to their older material.