In The Mountain In The Cloud review by Portugal. The Man

• Released: Jul 19, 2011
Portugal. The Man: In The Mountain In The Cloud

Portugal. The Man have certainly come a long way from their debut album "Waiter: You Vultures!". "In The Mountain In The Cloud" cannot be described as anything but a true work of art. Each member of the band seems to have really stepped up, as this album has such a huge, sloshy sound which engulfs the listener in the psychedelic sound of many of the songs. In relation to their other works, this release has a feel most similar to "The Satanic Satanist", but with heavier instrumentation through most of the album (most of the songs feature a string section, and some brass, as well). The band's classic rock influences also come through fairly stong in the guitar work, and some folk-influence slips in at times, too. Most of the songs are quite catchy on the surface, but they still don't lose complexity, which makes every listen a new experience.

Most of the lyrics run parallel with previous Portugal. The Man releases, with messages against war, politics, and materialism, all trumped by peace, love, and understanding. The poetry, however, is beautiful on the songs that require that succelent majesty, such as the final track "Sleep Forever". Gourley's vocals fit nearly perfectly into the fold of every song.

Overall, "In The Mountain In The Cloud" is one of Portugal. The Man's most adventurous albums (possibly passed by "Censored Colors", another fantastic work), and the end result is a set of astounding pieces of music. Even though the band ventures into some heavy psychedelic/progressive territory, a stillness sits atop the music in places it is intended. I would strongly recommend this album to anyone who listens to more than Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha (sorry, there's nothing for you, here). Portugal. The Man has truly produced a masterpiece.

Hexagram
    mattiscool7337
    larrytheguitar wrote: I've only listened to Censored Colors, which was alright. I really like their song The Sun but didn't check out the album it was on.
    It's on The Satanic Satanist.
    larrytheguitar
    The Spoon
    Censored Colors was boring and drawn out in my opinion...is this album actually different from the last few? They release music really quickly and it all tends to blend in together.
    crackjunior1
    tntero : I dont get why this guys would include my country's name in their name when they actually told they had never heard of Portugal before... xD
    I'm from Portugal too!!
    Ibeanez
    Ibeanez
    Hexagram wrote: Ibeanez wrote: The lyrics section of the review is enough to discouraging me from ever listening to the band. I'd rather not have someone so close minded to listen to such a great band anyways
    You mean "closed minded"? There is nothing closed minded about rejecting failed, cliche hippie nonsense. The band may still be good, though.
    tntero
    Chickendirt
    Portugal. The Man actually started out as a character John Bourley created, but became the band name. Portugal refers to a person, not the country