Odyssey Number Five Review

Powderfinger: Odyssey Number Five
Released: Mar 20, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Aussie Rock
Powderfinger may have climbed up into Australian's popular approval prior to Odyssey Number Five with the ease of a nearby dumbwaiter, but North America began to look like more of a challenging proposition.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.7
 9.4
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Odyssey Number Five Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 07, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is truly amazing. The album cover all different music styles from soft rock ballads t hard rocking gems which is evident in tracks like "My Happiness", "My Kind Of Scene" & "Like A Dog". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album along with all Powderfinger albums are truly amazing. The lyrics flow over the music beautifully and Powderfingers Lead singer Benard Fanning Shows he has a real talent for what he does and further proves he is one of the best singers going around at the moment. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Powderfingers most successful album and it is a tie for their best album (along with "Internationalist"). I Believe the most impressive tracks on the album are; "My Happiness", "My Kind Of Scene" & "These Days". There is nothing on this album that I don't like it is truly one of Australia's best albums of all time. If this album were lost or stolen, I would go buy it again in a heart beat and I urge everyone else to buy the album as well it is one of the best albums out there. // 10

Odyssey Number Five Reviewed by: bobby_zman, on february 15, 2006

Sound: Powderfinger are an australian 5 piece and Internationalist is their 1998 album which preceded the more well known 'Oddyssey Number Five'. The band is often described as being a Bowie influenced REM, and I hear some late red hot chili peppers in some of the slow, soulful ballads on this album (they seem to get lumped into the 'alternative rock' category). Having three guitarists helps powderfinger to have a strong rhythm section but their is no great instrumental talent involved in this album. The key to their sound is the great interraction between the oustanding vocals and the music. The production on this album is not as polished as in some of their more recent albums, but this allows the vocals to stand out above the slightly faded, distorted music. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album seem to describe the everyday life faced by people living in modern cities. They often paint pictures of people living in disillusionment: "The people are frustrated," "Framed by a picket fence and salary" with a hint of escapism in songs such as 'Passenger'. Vocalist Bernard Fanning is an amazing talent with a more melodic voice than many rock singers (he has a succesfull solo career in australia) and in this album there is a feeling of resignation and sadness in his voice particularly as he wonders "Why should I complain when everybody else is overworked and underpaid?" The music complies with this tone in much of the album although the three guitars combine effectively in some heavy, upbeat songs such as 'Belter' and 'Don't Wanna Be Left Out'. // 9

Overall Impression: this album is similar to other albums by powderfinger, with perhaps more emphasis on softer rock songs. The opening five tracks are amazing with 'Already Gone' and 'Passenger' standing out. But the great thing about this album is the lack of any 'Filler' songs. The small (5 second) interludes between some songs (I think they are meant to sound like someone tuning between radio stations) are slightly annoying but if I lost this album I would definitely buy it again, although their greatest hits album is tempting. A must have for all - Powderfinger fan or not. // 9

Comments