Vulture Street Review

artist: Powderfinger date: 03/23/2006 category: compact discs
Powderfinger: Vulture Street
Released: Jul 29, 2003
Genre: Rock
The album should have given you more than a sense of Southern satisfaction. An outstanding piece of work!
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 8.2
 9.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Vulture Street Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 02, 2004

Sound: This is definitely a different sounding Powderfinger, they have gone for more of a rock & soul approach on this album. This CD was anything but a failure in Australia where it picked up an Aria (Australia's answerer to a Grammy) for album on the year even they Powder finger where a huge underdog going into this category. As I said the music styles of the album are very bluesy and soul mixed with rock and this works well with most tracks but almost puts you to sleep with others. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very good, as the always are on Powderfingers records. Lead singer Bernard Fanning has an amazing voice and it goes over the music great. He definitely has a talent for singing and is one of a very few Australian artists who can create the same CD like performance live. // 8

Overall Impression: Although this isn't by any means a bad album it really doesn't compare to Powderfingers Earlier albums. The best tracks on the album are "Since You've Been Gone", "On My Mind" and "Love Your Way". I suppose the thing I like best about the album is what a mentioned before and that is Bernard Fanning voice it is definitely I unique and great voice. If this CD were lost or stolen I would buy it again if only just to support Australia's best and most underrated band. // 8

Vulture Street Reviewed by: Azdogga, on march 23, 2006

Sound: Powderfinger have two hit singles on this album - "Got You On My Mind" and "Sunsets." Apart from these two and one other song, all of the tunes are slow, sweet ballads. There are minimal effects and very simple drum beats, which suits the sort of music they play. Don't buy this CD if you are a hard rock fan, 'cause this isn't your cup of tea. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are clever on most songs and have hidden meanings in them. They lead singer has an amazing voice and can really hit some fantastic notes. They slot in well with the music and on the ballads, there are few rock bands who could be that mellow. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great CD. Powderfinger have a good amount of talent between them and are carried by the fantastic singing. They have a real bluesy feel that just glides along and makes a great sound. This is probably one of their better CDs to date, so if your looking for a true powderfinger album, this is the one. // 9

Comments