Prior To The Fire Review

artist: Priestess date: 11/05/2010 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Priestess: Prior To The Fire
Released: Oct 20, 2009
Genre: Stoner rock, Heavy metal
Label: Indica, TeePee Records
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Prior To The Fire Reviewed by: sam_brault, on november 05, 2010

Sound: Unlike in 'Hello Master,' Priestess has gone more towards their progressive roots, and it is mostly all for the better. Priestess blends metal, hard rock, and even a tad of folk in this album, making for an album with great variety. This album features even more crunching guitar, pounding drums, and air-guitar-worthy moments than their previous release. // 8

Lyrics: The band opted to write more about topics of interest on this album, as opposed to real life ventures. Whether it be a song about Jack the Ripper (in Lady Killer), Werewolves (in Communicating Via Eyes) or a world apocalypse (in The Gem), Priestess used this album to show a more storytelling side of themselves. With all band members contributing to the lyric-writing portion of the songs, we see many different lyrical styles all throughout the album. Singer Mikey Heppner gives this album more of a rough edge than their previous album, yelling out lyrics at all the right times. He also shows that he has grown as a singer, as the vocals on this album are displayed with great power. // 9

Overall Impression: What I have heard most of Priestess is that they are a heavier, more modern Black Sabbath. However, I find that they have created their own sound, but still respecting their roots. Prior to the Fire is a step in the perfect direction for Priestess, and I find it to be almost a step up from Hello Master. What I love the most about this album: I can listen to it from beginning to end without have to skip a single song. I do not hate anything about the album, but I think some songs could have been made longer. If this album were to be lost, I would definitely pick up another copy. // 9

Comments