Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble Review

Primus: Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble
Released: Oct 21, 2014
Genre: Experimental Rock
Label: ATO Records, Prawn Song Records
Essentially, a re-imagining of the soundtrack of the original "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" movie, but with the type of approach you would expect from Primus.
 10,675
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
Primus & The Chocolate Factory With The Fungi Ensemble Featured review by: UG Team, on october 27, 2014

Sound: Primus formed in 1984, though the world at large didn't really hear anything from them until the release of their debut album in 1990. At first they were treated like a quirky type of sideshow band, but the skilled musicians involved, led by the bass genius of Les Claypool, brought them more recognition. The band experienced a lot of success in the '90s, though it wrapped up with the band going on hiatus in 2000, which lasted 3 years and with the band reforming to release albums very sporadically. The band's last full-length album, "Green Naugahyde," was released in 2011 and showed that the band is still on top of their game. Les Claypool decided at some point to take his fascination with the classic '70s era "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" in order to create his own take on a soundtrack for the movie. The result is a surreal adventure - and I highly recommend playing it along with the movie. The album has 14 tracks and clocks in at just over 40 minutes. There are several songs less than 2 minutes in length, and one track that is actually just 4 seconds. As a promotion for the album, Primus has been selling chocolate bars at their shows named after previous songs in the band's catalog.

The album opens up with "Hello Wonkites," which is a two minute instrumental track, which borrows the melody from "Pure Imagination" and plays it on a cello - there is almost a touch of the type of ambient reverb-heavy shenanigans that reminds me of the "Dead Man" soundtrack by Neil Young. "Candy Man" is up next, which has a tribal beat mixed with some pure psychedelia and whale-song cello grooviness and Les singing "Candy Man" with his own dose of weirdness. "Cheer Up Charlie" would almost have a melancholy melody except for the quirky additions to the song which make it seem a little more schizophrenic. "Golden Ticket" starts out with a really sad vibe, but it quickly gets almost carnival-esque. "Lermaninoff" is just a few seconds long - you can draw your own conclusions on that one. "Pure Imagination" comes across like Sonic Youth's "Bull in the Heather" mixed with the original "Pure Imagination" playing in the background of a drug-fueled nightmare... but in a good way. "Oompa Augustus" is the first visit by the Oompas, and is much like the songs sung by the Oompas on the movie, but a much stronger vein of creepiness. "Semi-Wondrous Boat Ride" is a new song to accompany the manic boat ride from the movie, just with a higher concentration of creepiness. "Oompa Violet" is next, and the Oompa's songs are very similar musically, with the Oompas singing about the children. "I Want It Now" is Veruca Salt's opus on entitlement, which has a whole different feel with an almost Indian or Asian flavor to the music and sung by Les. "Oompa Veruca" is the song where the Oompas come to take Veruca away, and they sing about her flawed nature, and has much of the Indian/Asian vibes in Veruca's song "I Want It Now." "Wonkmobile" comes across like the raving of a lunatic, humming and singing to himself, with the accompaniment of mostly atonal sounds. "Oompa TV" talks about the dangers of watching too much television. "Farewell Wonkites" starts out with a guitar soloing the melody from "Pure Imagination," but it quickly adds elements and ends the album in the perfect quirky fashion, with some haunted vocals and the music taking a dark turn at the very end. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly lifted from the movie, but Les brings a lot of new character to them. His vocal "range" basically goes from sounding like a mouth-breathing hillbilly, to an awkward out of key warble, to a sing-songy falsetto. They are great tools for this type of project and really helped keep me engaged with the album. The Oompas have their own original type of vocals, which adds a whole other layer of darkness to the movie. // 8

Overall Impression: I would honestly give this album a higher rating if it wasn't a re-imagining of a movie soundtrack, because it is musically solid. I stayed entertained and even went back and played it along with parts of the movie - which was a LOT of fun. My favorite tracks would probably be "Cheer Up Charlie," "Pure Imagination" and "I Want It Now"... the Oompa songs were all entertaining in their own right, as well. I would love to hear a completely original new album by the band, but this will definitely tide me over, and give me something interesting to show my friends when they come over. // 8

- Brandon East (c) 2014