Sailing The Sea Of Cheese Review

Released: May 14, 1991
Label: Interscope
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal
It's the tightest, most song-oriented representation of their jaw-dropping, one-of-a-kind style.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 9.4
 8.8
 9.9
Sailing The Sea Of Cheese Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2005

Sound: As I'm a bass player I find it an absolute must to any bassist looking for a bass player to worship to buy this album and prepered to be blown away by the the bass lines of les claypool! My jaw liturally dropped as I as intruduced to some excellent songs by this band pick any of the songs and I promise you'll love him to bits. This album sound that is driven by the bass is of the highest quality. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good if you read them they'll make you raise an eyebrow for sure. But the Primus is definately led by the music the volume sound of the lyrics are quieter than most albums. // 6

Overall Impression: The music is absolutely brilliant and should be considered in any bass players collection. Lyrics are quiet but that doesn't matter as the bass line is what'll amaze you. In truthfullness Flea does actually sound average (it's true he does) Sgt. Baker is the key song that shows you what this album is made of. If you appriciate good bassline. This bass driven album is what anyone should buy. Worth every penny. You'll be on this website thanking me for advising to get it. // 8

Sailing The Sea Of Cheese Reviewed by: YAY_FOR_PIE, on may 22, 2006

Sound: Since Primus is my favorite band of all time, this album stands out to me in more than one way. First off, you have to aknowledge Les Claypool's insane bass skills. No one compares to his style. Also, Tim Alexander does some pretty crazy things on drums, as does Ler LaLonde on guitar. This is one band where every member as uber insane talent; and when put together, there is no stopping them. // 10

Lyrics: After listening to Primus for a couple of years now, I have to admit that their lyrics are not their strong point. On the contrary, the lyrics are still very well thought out and not just mindlessly conjured. Some of their lyrics are dead on, but some are just meh. // 7

Overall Impression: Out of all of Primus's CDs, Sailing the Seas of Cheese is definately their best CD. It shows how skilled some bands can be if they really try. I like every single song on here exept the two little filler songs with old men singing, and Eleven (I don't know why, it just never appealed to me). Every other song kicks ass and should never go without being listened to by every one on the face of the earth. If this CD was stolen/lost, I would definately go buy it again. Then I would buy two copies while I was their to give to someone else so they can know how great they are. // 10

Sailing The Sea Of Cheese Reviewed by: numb82, on september 25, 2007

Sound: The sound is definitely more experimental and upbeat than all the other Funk-metal acts of the day who turned into thoughtful songwriters such the chili peppers and Faith no more, the sound Is mature but has an element of the band still trying to find itself in a unique due to the fact that irreverance, virtuosity and humor standouts among each member, especially bassist and vocalist Les Claypool who shows his True artistry on 'Tommy The Cat' with Larry lalonde's amazing guitar solo and Tim alexander groove on drums, another song 'Jerry Was A Race Car Driver' Give you a sense of greatness in Claypool tapped bass work which drives the song while the rest of the bands mentality drives the album as one of the greatest of all time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are still Humorous and eccentric as usual, but close inspection could show that it is the lyrical change making it Primus's angriest album, them becoming outspoken socially, religiously and politically with songs such as 'American Life' which criticises american society or 'Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers' talking about drug abuse, which has built their image as outspoken which is evident in the following release Pork soda. // 9

Overall Impression: The album is the greatest of all time for its intrumental experimentation, not with effects but with playing techniques making it one true and raw funk metal album and giving a blueprint for young musician to follow and learn, this is defnitely one album to have for it's pure energy, virtuosity and humor and make Primus one of the greatest bands of all time and will have a place in rock music for all time. // 9

Comments