Planet Earth review by Prince

• Released: Jul 24, 2007
Prince: Planet Earth

Prince has adopted a more contemporary sound that can be clearly heard on tracks such as 'Guitar' and 'Future Baby Mama'. I love the jazzy 'Somewhere Here On Earth' with the Miles Davies Trumpet parts. Guitar and synths a plenty with some great slap bass tones. You can hear the Status Quo influence on 'Guitar' as well as some funky drum rhythms on the kit. As per usual with Prince everything is much more complicated than it sounds but I feel most guitar solos on the album are not as top notch as the early stuff. Also, be prepared for the new Indie style riffs that are subtly placed all over the show.

Typical Prince, Love, Love, Love. Can't really make sense of anything else except 'Guitar' which seems to be about comparing his missus to his axe (we've all done it). Prince's extraordinary sounding voice cuts through the band perfectly resulting in perfect mixes throughout. All great stuff. 'The One you Wanna C' is a highlight in this area, accompanied by one of the best slap basslines since Mark King.

Here's what I don't understand why is he giving it away? In the newspapers? At his gigs? At HMV? What is going on? Is this guy proud of this record? He should be. I got it off a mate who saw Prince last week and he picked me up a free disc (cheers Steve). I'm not complaining but why? The album is awesome but it is being wasted, being given away. It's a crime. That said, no way does this compare to the original Prince material. If you want to get into Prince get a classic '80s album like 'Purple Rain' or a Greatest Hits compilation. 'Planet Earth' is worth getting hold of, however.

gallagher2006
    I like it. Best freebie I got off a paper (Although Elvis' greatest hits the other day was pretty cool too). Title track is a bit of a let down though.
    Sloopy
    shift3448 what good does your comment do? I mean why come to the Prince page if you don't even like him? Yeah I thought this album was so-so. 'Guitar' is probably the highlight.
    auranos
    I loved "The one u wanna c", though it ends a bit poorly. Still, Prince beats most artists even on a bad day.
    anty
    planet earth the song is fantastic. probably my favourite, such a dark intro then into the nice dreamy atmosphere.
    figerade
    Damn! I remember getting this album yesterday. Not a bad album. The One U Wanna C & Resolution is my favorites from this album