Planet Earth Review

Prince: Planet Earth
Release Date: Jul 24, 2007
Genres: Pop, Funk, Rock, R&B
Label: Columbia
"Planet Earth" is the sound of a working musician working, which makes it a bit of a passing pleasure, yet there's no denying that it is indeed a pleasure having him turn out solid records like this that build upon his legacy, no matter how modestly.
 7.7
 6.3
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Planet Earth Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on august 13, 2007

Sound: Prince has adopted a more contemporary sound that can be clearly heard on tracks such as 'Guitar' and 'Future Baby Mama'. I love the jazzy 'Somewhere Here On Earth' with the Miles Davies Trumpet parts. Guitar and synths a plenty with some great slap bass tones. You can hear the Status Quo influence on 'Guitar' as well as some funky drum rhythms on the kit. As per usual with Prince everything is much more complicated than it sounds but I feel most guitar solos on the album are not as top notch as the early stuff. Also, be prepared for the new Indie style riffs that are subtly placed all over the show. // 8

Lyrics: Typical Prince, Love, Love, Love. Can't really make sense of anything else except 'Guitar' which seems to be about comparing his missus to his axe (we've all done it). Prince's extraordinary sounding voice cuts through the band perfectly resulting in perfect mixes throughout. All great stuff. 'The One you Wanna C' is a highlight in this area, accompanied by one of the best slap basslines since Mark King. // 10

Overall Impression: Here's what I don't understand why is he giving it away? In the newspapers? At his gigs? At HMV? What is going on? Is this guy proud of this record? He should be. I got it off a mate who saw Prince last week and he picked me up a free disc (cheers Steve). I'm not complaining but why? The album is awesome but it is being wasted, being given away. It's a crime. That said, no way does this compare to the original Prince material. If you want to get into Prince get a classic '80s album like 'Purple Rain' or a Greatest Hits compilation. 'Planet Earth' is worth getting hold of, however. // 9

Comments