Purple Rain review by Prince

• Released: Jun 25, 1984
Prince: Purple Rain

Prince is one of the most talented musicians of modern times, and this legendary record proves it. In an era of manufactured pop and rock, Prince established the most unique voice of the decade. From catchy arena rock style songs, to synth driven songs, to some of the most beautiful slow songs ever recorded in pop music. What gives the album such a distinct and immediately recognizable sound is the stylish and seamless mixture of pop, R&B, rock and roll, gospel, and avant-garde. Prince is world renowned for his musical proficiency, and for good reason. He play most of the instruments on the album: guitar, bass, keyboards. He shows skill with all the instruments, but his guitar playing is what struck me. He may not be the most technical player, but definitely one of the most soulful. From hard rock riffing to ear piercing soloing(especially on the title track, "Purple Rain"), Prince's musicianship is front and center.

Prince has a voice made for pop. He can hit ridiculously high notes for a male, and that might turn some of you off immediately, but others will appreciate his obvious skills as a singer. The lyrics on the album range from rock and pop cliches ("Let's go Crazy" "I Would die 4 You"), to the downright poetic ("Purple Rain", "When Doves Cry").

This is beyond a shadow of a doubt my favorite Prince record. With this record he found the perfect middle ground between almost all genres of music. The standout tracks to me are: Let's go Crazy (fun, catchy hard rock tune, awesome guitar parts, although the lyrics may be a little on the cheesy side). When Doves Cry (fantastic pop song. Very dry sounding groove, due mainly to the fact that Prince decided not to have a bass line for the song, very unusual for dance songs at the time). Purple Rain (without a doubt my favorite song on the record and quite possibly my favorite Prince song ever. An epic combination of rock and gospel, the track features poetic lyrics, Prince's most expressive singing, and a fantastic guitar solo, one of Prince's best. Purple Rain is without a doubt Prince's crowning moment, and a crowning moment for all music).

mrlee192
    sloopy^. The Beatles sound dated but they are considered one of the greatest bands of all time.
    Cher0keeChi1d
    I think it was when I saw Purple Rain, that I wanted to be a musician. This is pretty much the only album I enjoy by Prince, but it is one of my favorites nonetheless. "Computer Blue" is my favorite song from this album. I especially love the solo in it.
    figerade
    Been a fan of Prince when I was really really young. I would take the old vacuum cleaner as a microphone and just air guitar when I first heard "Controversy, Alphabet Street, Purple Rain" and many others Very hard for me to pick a favorite from this album because its so damn good! I do Computer Blue as a cover nowadays. One of Prince's many gems
    guitardudechris
    Prince in my eyes is an unappericated musical genius espically 4 his unique funk sound but also got abit weird too
    Splashed
    I like Prince, but even so, i feel he is at the same time overrated, though at the same time, underrated. Like, honestly, as a whole for ME, Purple rain is a decent/good album. The whole isn't greater than the sum of its aprts (the parts for me being Darling Nikki, Purple rain, let's Go Crazy, etc.) But like, as a MUSICIAN, this guy is the duck's nuts and nowadays, he isn't mentioned enough. Either way, I'd like to see a huge resurgence of popularity from thsi dude. He's one of the giants, he's stil making a buttload of music
    Sloopy
    Purple Rain was a great film and a great record, but looking back it really screams that 1980s dated-ness that I don't enjoy so much in 2007.