Probot review by Probot

• Released: Feb 10, 2004
Probot: Probot

Now, I'm a huge fan of Foo Fighters and their related side projects like Them Crooked Vultures, Chris Shifflet and The Dead Peasants and Taylor Hawkins and The Coatail Riders. However, I hadn't really got round to listening to Dave Grohl's solo project: Probot. I had heard great things about it, but always forgot to purchase it. One Christmas my girlfriend got me it and I was looking forward to play this CD. After listening to it, I must say this album is brilliant. Probot is mixture of Metal genres such as: Death Metal, Doom Metal, Thrash and Heavy Metal. The guitars are very filthy and thick, while the drumming is passionate throughout and hits very hard. The bass is also pretty damn slick, with Lemmy from Motorhead providing bass for the single "Shake Your Blood". Dave Grohl does all the instrumentation on this LP, although Kim Thayil of Soundgarden does some additional guitar. This is similar to the first Foo Fighters album, where Grohl also did all the instruments there too. However, the twist with Probot is that Dave Grohl doesn't sing here. At all. On each song, a new vocalist appears and it is clear Dave has catered each song to fit their styles. Featuring guests such as King Diamond of Mercyful Fate, Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, Snake of Voivod and Cronos of Venom, this features a lot of different vocal styles and song styles. The only flaw I would say about the albums sound is that at time the guitar can be quite basic, which is a shame as Dave Grohl is rather talented and could have improved his chops here.

The lyrics on this LP are kind of similar and take similar tones too. This tones tend to be in the themes of Depression, Death and Loneliness among other things. The lyrics can be sometimes tedious or basic, but they fit well the songs and can be very catchy. I personally paid more attention to the instrumentation, but when I did listen to the lyrics they were rather good.

I would recommend this album to any Metal-Head or fan of Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters or fans of the guest artists. I thought this was a great listen and actually listened to it 4 times in the same day. I would buy it again definitely if it was stolen/broken. My favourite songs are: Red War Dictatosaurus Big Sky Shake Your Blood I Am The Warlock

DoodlySquat
    Abacus11 wrote: What a bunch of awful reviews.
    That was an awful review of the reviews. -_- If you don't like the reviews then stop complaining and write your own.