Probot Review

artist: Probot date: 05/14/2012 category: compact discs
Probot: Probot
Released: Feb 10, 2004
Genre: Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Crossover Thrash, Doom Metal, Experimental Metal
Label: Southern Lord
Probot was a heavy metal side project of ex-Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters rhythm guitarist and lead-singer Dave Grohl.
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
Probot Reviewed by: fu attacker, on march 15, 2004

Sound: Probot sounds cool. It's death metal which normally I don't listen to but when I did listen to it, it was a revelation. Most of the tracks are fast and furious and extremely tight particularly 'Centuries of Sin','Dictatosaurus' and 'Shake Your Blood' (Lemmy rules!), some are slower like 'Ice Cold Man' (which turns into a tornado anyway). Grohl does all the instrumentals from the unstoppable drum beats, to the freight train guitar, there are some nice solos as well - listen to 'Sweet Dreams' and you'll know what I mean. // 10

Lyrics: Don't expect hearty foo fight ballards, songs about Courtney Love or the frustration of being in love. Most lyrics pleasently deal with the evil present in the world, psycopaths, death and evil. 'Silent Spring' by Kurt Brecht is very Rage Against The Machines and will have you chanting your anger at the world 'another suicide bomb blood bath!'. For lyrics I especially liked 'Ice Cold Man' by Lee Dorian it is haunting and just wicked. The vocals are all pretty good the best being Cronos, lemmy and Wino. King Diamond will just blow you away and he twats Justin Hawkins in the face. The worst vocalist in my opinion is Max Cavalera, it's just not my thing really. // 10

Overall Impression: Probot was very different from anything that I had brought before. I mainly brought it because I heard 'Centuries of Sin' and plus Dave Grohl does need to eat if he's to make more music. With some tracks a voice inside me did ask why, but that went away. I sometimes like to write on my computer, I am currently writing a screenplay that goes hand in hand with the music on this album. I love the feeling of the music's unstoppable all powerful feel plus if you tune E to D on your guitar you can work out most of the songs and that is incredibly satisfying as their are no tabs yet for this album. If I lost this album I would buy it again it just rocks, and has converted me from punk to metal, I need to thank Dave Grohl for making this CD because without it I just wouldn't be as angry! // 10

Probot Reviewed by: TheChunklunk, on may 14, 2012

Sound: Now, I'm a huge fan of Foo Fighters and their related side projects like Them Crooked Vultures, Chris Shifflet and The Dead Peasants and Taylor Hawkins and The Coatail Riders. However, I hadn't really got round to listening to Dave Grohl's solo project: Probot. I had heard great things about it, but always forgot to purchase it. One Christmas my girlfriend got me it and I was looking forward to play this CD. After listening to it, I must say this album is brilliant. Probot is mixture of Metal genres such as: Death Metal, Doom Metal, Thrash and Heavy Metal. The guitars are very filthy and thick, while the drumming is passionate throughout and hits very hard. The bass is also pretty damn slick, with Lemmy from Motorhead providing bass for the single "Shake Your Blood". Dave Grohl does all the instrumentation on this LP, although Kim Thayil of Soundgarden does some additional guitar. This is similar to the first Foo Fighters album, where Grohl also did all the instruments there too. However, the twist with Probot is that Dave Grohl doesn't sing here. At all. On each song, a new vocalist appears and it is clear Dave has catered each song to fit their styles. Featuring guests such as King Diamond of Mercyful Fate, Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, Snake of Voivod and Cronos of Venom, this features a lot of different vocal styles and song styles. The only flaw I would say about the albums sound is that at time the guitar can be quite basic, which is a shame as Dave Grohl is rather talented and could have improved his chops here. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this LP are kind of similar and take similar tones too. This tones tend to be in the themes of Depression, Death and Loneliness among other things. The lyrics can be sometimes tedious or basic, but they fit well the songs and can be very catchy. I personally paid more attention to the instrumentation, but when I did listen to the lyrics they were rather good. // 8

Overall Impression: I would recommend this album to any Metal-Head or fan of Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters or fans of the guest artists. I thought this was a great listen and actually listened to it 4 times in the same day. I would buy it again definitely if it was stolen/broken. My favourite songs are: Red War Dictatosaurus Big Sky Shake Your Blood I Am The Warlock // 10

Probot Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 10, 2004

Sound: This is what you would expect from this 80's metal side project it stays true to each persons sound from cronos to king diamond. Every instrument on this record is very tight with some nice guitaring and drums as well as other instruments most of them all done by grohl who hasn't reallly disappointed anyone in recent times. // 10

Lyrics: What can you say about the lyrics, this is 80's death metal so there about things like parties, demons, vampires and the killing of the earth as well as partying some very inspiring stuff. My favourite lyrics to Probot are the ones written by Max Cavalera (ex-Sepultura)you gotta love "12 Tribes Into The Mountain Of Zion" and various others. // 8

Overall Impression: Perhaps this might bring the teenybopper Grohl fans into some new music. Anyway this was worth the wait and if you like Dave Grohl or metal particulary doom metal of the 80's then you would love this "Tribute" record to that scene. Overall great job by Grohl and co, some really good ones like shake your blood and centuries of sin, a highly listenable album. // 10

Probot Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 12, 2007

Sound: This album was just a mix of famous band people all across metal to come together with Dave Grohl and try to do something cool and it worked very well as a matter of fact. I bought the edition of this on vinyl and nothing sounds as good as vinyl. The audio quality is stupendous. I like how the album presents all kinds of sounds based on who is playing what with which artist. I mixed the songs up, got a list of the guest stars, and tried to guess which was which! // 10

Lyrics: Red War wasn't really meaning much like Centuries of Sin. Access Babylon was well delivered by the COC man. The best song lyrically is definately Silent Spring because it brings forth a very political message a bout how we are in the slow process of extincting the human race. Emerald Law was well done by the vocalist and that is probably my second favorite song all around. The vinyl edition come with an extra song but it isn't that great. // 10

Overall Impression: I was very impressed with Dave Grohl's first collaboration album and I think it was a great idea giving it a shot like Grohl did. He should do this again sometimes when he isn't working with Foo Fighters. I loved the art. Whoever did the art did great. This isn't the greatest album in the world but it certainly has it's place. I think this would be a good album to add to a serious fan of any of the artists listed on the guest list. It would also make a good first metal album. Southern Lord Records make some pretty good stuff, man. // 10

Comments