Potemkin City Limits Review

Propagandhi: Potemkin City Limits
Release Date: Oct 18, 2005
Label: Fat Wreck Chord
Genres: Punk Revival
This is their best CD to date. The lyrics are far better then the last album. Musically they have grown as well.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.7
 9.9
 7.5
Potemkin City Limits Reviewed by: 2strung_out, on december 21, 2005

Sound: The sound of Propagandhi is like fine wine, it gets better with age. When they first came out I didn't think much of this band, they had a basic punk sound with some songs being good and other songs not good. Over ten years later they are now one of my favorite bands. They have a unique sound which I would describe as political hardcore with speed metal riffs and jazzy licks. Also they have a great clean sound but still heavy, great interludes and every song is good, and that's just the electric guitar. The bass lines are amazing with the same metal or jazz sounds. Drums have always been good in this band, but even the drummer has impressed me greatly with this new albums. And finally the singer's vocals sound great on this album, they are powerful and meaningful, which brings us to our next category, lyrics. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics have always been an important part of the music for me personally. Chris's lyrics on this albums are very impressive, he flows almost perfectly with the music. I like the fact that I don't know half the stuff he is saying, but it's not because he is hard to hear, it's because he does so much research and he is so smart. The stuff I can undersatnd I really like though. His lyrics are almost educational, but he is not trying to force anything on the listener, so you can just sit back and enjoy the music. // 9

Overall Impression: With this new CD (Potemkin City Limits) from one of Canada's best rockers (Propagandhi) they have proven great music still exists. Four and a half years since their last album (Today's Empires, Tomorrows Ashes) is well worth the wait. I am glad they took so long because they really made a great record, and in my mind one of the top 5 albums of 2005. Which is saying alot since their were alot of great albums that came out this year. This is a classic albums in my opinion because everything is good (guitar, bass, drums, lyrics). Everyone contributes in this band and they are still on fat wrecks which is cool. I can't say which songs are my favorite because I like the varitey of sounds and I like every song. If this CD was stolen from me I would have to kick some butt, and if I lost it I would definatly buy again. // 10

Potemkin City Limits Reviewed by: Osiris77, on august 24, 2007

Sound: Propagandhi is an amazing band to say the least and this is there best CD to date. If your looking for Punk at its finest you've got it right here. Chris Hannah is hands down the best guitarist in punk rock and that's a fact. The drums and bass are great aswell with fast almost metal like riffs on most songs. For all of you metal funs that think punk is all easy you need to buy this CD. For the dynamic A Speculative Fiction to the solo in Iteration this CD rocks. // 10

Lyrics: Well in my opionion Chris Hannah has the best melodic voice in punk. So that along means the lyrics atleast sound good. But nope that's not all the lyrics actually are good, well actually there not good there amazing. There all well educated in politics good enough to run if you ask me. Mostly all the lyrics Propagandhi rights are polictical. Although I may not agree with everything they write it all has valid points, it's not just senseless whining. The music goes perfect with the lyrics and really brings the songs to life. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is a perfect 10 and in my book is on the top 5 greatest CDs ever. So what are you waiting for go out and buy the record it's awesome you won't be disapointed. If it where stolen I'd go out and buy a new one the same day, there's nothing I don't like about this record. // 10

Comments