Supporting Caste review by Propagandhi

• Released: Mar 10, 2009
Propagandhi: Supporting Caste

Propagandhi is by far the finest example of a band that evolves with each album. Supporting Caste being no exception. My first impression is that the band is getting heavier, but more melodic at the same time. Chris' vocals haven't changed much. Overall the guitar, bass and drums have developed technically and musically. Propagandhi continues to break ground in their own sub-genre of punk.

Any Propagandhi fan knows that this band is fueled by their beliefs, and that the music is a vessel to deliver said beliefs. My only complaint would be that in a few places the speed and tempo of the song doesn't allow for a good delivery of the lyrics. In "Dear Coach's Corner" the lyrics are a letter from a concerned uncle who is disturbed by Don Cherry's "Support Our Troops" rants and is concerned his niece will have to grow up believing that to love hockey is to support Canada's military actions on foreign soil.

Comparing Propagandhi albums is like comparing new computer processors, I thought their album "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes" was their best album until "Potemkin City Limits" came out and I was mind-blown, today I was mind-blown again. My favorite songs are the namesake "Supporting Caste" and "Dear Coach's Corner" And considering I bought this album today(on it's release date) for $10CDN from HMV I couldn't be happier. If I lost this CD I would buy it again. I'd pay double.

alkalineweeman
    Brilliant album, i'm not too sure yet if it takes overmy fave (potemkin city limits) only time will tell but another solid effort.
    TheKingisDead
    This album was a shock to me. Potemkin City Limits was more experimental and slower-tempo'd, and this builds heavily on that formula, speeding it up and making it far more intense. The vocals are much less snotty than their early work, and his voice really shines on this record. This album sounds like the best of Today's Empires and Potemkin put together to form an ultimate rock onslaught. Anyone who likes punk, social and political issues, or thrash should definitely check this out. For a new listener, it may take time to get used to, but this is a true piece of art. I'd give it a 9.
    rob_hank
    I had the pleasure of seeing them live in Melbourne, AU recently and they kicked ass. The newer material fit in well with the older stuff and was very well received. I confess to generally being either or about these guys, but live and with this record released so close to the tour i have to say 9/10...
    Johnny The Cat
    Awesome album. I'm still really digesting it...kinda been left in a daze by it. Today's Empires is still my favorite, but I think the comment by TheKingIsDead that this album is a refined combination of both albums is quite appropriate. Awesome band who's really out there fighting the good fight, and they never fail to disappoint. This record is a true testament to that.
    Johnny The Cat
    Forgot to add, that some people who seem to take issue with Propagandhi tend to forget the band's sense of humour. A lot of the delivery is tongue-in-cheek, but there's no question they are sincere in their beliefs.