A Calculated Use Of Sound review by Protest the Hero

• Released: May 1, 2003
Protest the Hero: A Calculated Use Of Sound

I'm surprised that when I looked protest they didn't have this album, bacause really this was the one that totally made them. This is when they really started to eperiment with the whole dual guitar part bits and even more than on their later release "Kezia", there is definetly lots of Maiden within this disc, but hey who doesn't love Maiden these days, they are my favourite band for sure. But don't get me wrong these guys aren't much like Maiden, if you ever try to play some of their stuff you sometimes feel like f--king biting your guitar neck until you have satisfied your need to break something, their riffs are seducing on this album and although the guitar parts aren't as crazy as their second, you can really have some trouble playing some of the stuff in some of the parts of the songs, but for sure it's a great album, and the music for them is amazing!

Well this album is obviously about all the political problems in the states even though they are from whitby ontario, but hey if you listen, they have done their research and it really shows. Even just a trip through the most famous song on the CD "These Colours Don't Bleed" shows that tehy have don't their research and in fact are even vey passionate about how corrupt the american government is. The singer is very skilled at singing but some of the background vocals aren't really all that great, but still all the great lyrics make up for the whole thing so hey who cares.

I had to specail order this shit so if I lost it I wouldn't only get a new one but I would rip out my hair, other than that it's worth going out and getting, even though it's not a very long CD and you can probably get through the whole thing in about 15 minutes, it's totally worth it. What else can I say, these guys rock!