A Calculated Use Of Sound review by Protest the Hero

• Released: May 1, 2003
Protest the Hero: A Calculated Use Of Sound

A Calculated Use of Sound is the band's first CD and what a album. The sound is punk/metal and has great drum lines. The band was only 17 when they made this and you can tell by Rody's high pitched vocals and some of his voice cracks. This album is obiously political charged as they call out Bill Clinton, homophobic people and many other american problems. One problem, they're Canadians.

The lyrics are very complex and you think the song writer is a genius with some lines like "Yes I want to topple the system, held in place by finacial greed, wealth is made by ownership, social hierchy", "Bombings won't justify bombings, death will not justify death, death itselfs justifies nuthing, nothing will come of it" and finally "Terrorism, as defined by official US documents as a calculated use of violence, or threat of violence, to attain goals that are political religeous or ideologicial in state."

Overall this CD (I think) is better that Kezia because it shows of their punk roots and their political lyrics. My favorite songs are Fear and loathing in laramie, These colours don't run & by far my favorite PTH song ever, Red Stars Over The Battle Of Cowshed.

Tedward
    One problem, they're Canadians.
    no disrespect to my southern neighbours, but that makes this band all the better. if u mean that its like they dont know anything about the american government, i think that a lot of canadians know more about whats going on with the states than most of the US people do, just because of all the news and stuff thats on tv in canada is not subject (as much) to the US governments manipulation. sorry for my ranting
    seanandahalf
    lockheart
    seanandahalf wrote: They were actually younger than 17. 15 or 16, even more impressive. And whats so bad about being Canadian? Its the shit
    I agree, by being a Canadian they have a perspective that no American could never have, cause they are outside looking in...
    x_pth_x
    Protest The hero are just simply amazing, everything about them is amazing, and Luke is an amazing back up vocalist,id like to know what about Kezia is less then this album. They themselves hate the songs on the album and would have to be paid large sums of money just to play these colours dont run.. therefore i would like your comment justified
    James TH
    i agree with you dude, the quality of the producion of kezia is tons better, and they are way more mature band now then they were back whenever they made a calculated use of sound, not to mention the songs are more advanced and the balls off rocking kicks way more ass on kezia.....and canadians rule cause i am canadian!!!!!
    Sneak King
    I thought I was the only person in the world who liked A Calculated Use of Sound more than Kezia. Glad to see I'm not alone. This is an amazing album, as is a lot of their older stuff.
    fender_NiNE
    i give these props for putting out an album like this at their age, but i still think its just really completely mediocre compared to Kezia....good start for a band like that though. These Colours Don't Run is actually a really good song for 17 year olds.
    gregory_h_42
    Not a bad album, especially for their ages at the time. But nothing compared to their newer records. theyre lightyears better now