A Calculated Use Of Sound Review

artist: Protest the Hero date: 09/18/2006 category: compact discs
Protest the Hero: A Calculated Use Of Sound
Release Date: 2002
Genres: Rock
This is when they really started to eperiment with the whole dual guitar part bits and even more than on their later release "Kezia."
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 9.7
 9.1
A Calculated Use Of Sound Reviewed by: James TH, on august 26, 2006

Sound: I'm surprised that when I looked protest they didn't have this album, bacause really this was the one that totally made them. This is when they really started to eperiment with the whole dual guitar part bits and even more than on their later release "Kezia", there is definetly lots of Maiden within this disc, but hey who doesn't love Maiden these days, they are my favourite band for sure. But don't get me wrong these guys aren't much like Maiden, if you ever try to play some of their stuff you sometimes feel like f--king biting your guitar neck until you have satisfied your need to break something, their riffs are seducing on this album and although the guitar parts aren't as crazy as their second, you can really have some trouble playing some of the stuff in some of the parts of the songs, but for sure it's a great album, and the music for them is amazing! // 10

Lyrics: Well this album is obviously about all the political problems in the states even though they are from whitby ontario, but hey if you listen, they have done their research and it really shows. Even just a trip through the most famous song on the CD "These Colours Don't Bleed" shows that tehy have don't their research and in fact are even vey passionate about how corrupt the american government is. The singer is very skilled at singing but some of the background vocals aren't really all that great, but still all the great lyrics make up for the whole thing so hey who cares. // 9

Overall Impression: I had to specail order this shit so if I lost it I wouldn't only get a new one but I would rip out my hair, other than that it's worth going out and getting, even though it's not a very long CD and you can probably get through the whole thing in about 15 minutes, it's totally worth it. What else can I say, these guys rock! // 10

A Calculated Use Of Sound Reviewed by: clinterrus_55, on september 18, 2006

Sound: A Calculated Use of Sound is the band's first CD and what a album. The sound is punk/metal and has great drum lines. The band was only 17 when they made this and you can tell by Rody's high pitched vocals and some of his voice cracks. This album is obiously political charged as they call out Bill Clinton, homophobic people and many other american problems. One problem, they're Canadians. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very complex and you think the song writer is a genius with some lines like "Yes I want to topple the system, held in place by finacial greed, wealth is made by ownership, social hierchy", "Bombings won't justify bombings, death will not justify death, death itselfs justifies nuthing, nothing will come of it" and finally "Terrorism, as defined by official US documents as a calculated use of violence, or threat of violence, to attain goals that are political religeous or ideologicial in state." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this CD (I think) is better that Kezia because it shows of their punk roots and their political lyrics. My favorite songs are Fear and loathing in laramie, These colours don't run & by far my favorite PTH song ever, Red Stars Over The Battle Of Cowshed. // 10

Comments