Fortress review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
Protest the Hero: Fortress

The beauty of Protest The Hero is that they make a bizarre riff that sounds like people when played on its own sound majestic. Their sound improves from album to album and they have proven that they have matured as a group. Fotress is from what I know a concept album based around some goddess, and probably people getting massacred. The drums sound amazing with a bass that kicks your ass every single time it hits (and it hits a lot of times in this 40min record). The vocals have overall improved dramatically. The singer no longer sounds like an adolescent. He sounds more aggressive and versatile on the album, making it sound even better than Kezia, which was great. And of course the guitars are more intense and incredible as ever. The album sounds epic.

All of the lyrics and concepts come from the bass player, who is supposedly some brilliant madman (he seemed pretty ordinary and normal when I met him). The lyrics rule. After hearing the first song, Bloodmeat, you know this album is metal. I mean "strung on hooks like pigs to slaughter." The lyrics are clever, emotional and deliver the message well. No straightforward "I love you"s for Protest The Hero. awesome.

This so far, is in my opinion, the best album of the year by far, and that's why I chose to review it first. In the last 6 months it has grown on me a lot, and it probably still will. I recommend it to anyone who appreciates musicianship or someone who doesn't screw around when they say they love metal. This album is pure intensity from start to finish and I love it. There is nothing I dislike about it really. I mean, it isnt the Perfect album, but they came pretty close. Their next opus definately might be. Some highlight tracks. Spoils: melodic, thrashy, epic ending, and serious guitar work all in like 3 minutes. Wretch: this song is brutal and really shows what they're trying to portray this album as. "My goddess gave birth to your God!" Palms Read: awesome song with great riffs and melodic moments and an unbelieveable instrumental ending. Bloodmeat: the fast opener. This is actually the catchiest song on the album since it actually has a rare repeating chorus. I love the bridge near the end. Sequoia Throne: this is the first song I heard before the album came out and it excited the hell out of me. The last minute in particular is like one of my alltime favorite moments in music.

Nintendo_zombie
    By the way, the bass for this band is incredible. I can't believe my ears at times, it's just so good. I can listen to this music ALL day long. I've been battling between listening to Protest, BTBAM, and SikTh. All three are amazing bands, if you like/love Protest, be sure to give the other two a nice listen. You won't regret.
    J-rich777
    killerswan
    J-rich777 wrote: I have heard three songs off of this cd and I'm most definitly will buy it... I heard that PTH and BTBAM's guitarists had a battle or something and PTH's guitars won. Is that true?
    I wouldn't doubt it. Luke and Tim are beasts.
    Smithsc
    pretty good stuff! its a great relief to know that there are still some talented bads out there!
    Jawkster
    Sequioa Throne is amazing, especially the melodic bit straight after the sweep @ 2:23.
    Hops44
    I thought Goddess Gagged was actually a good ender for the CD "The silence inside you when the music has stopped!" Just makes me wanna listen to the cd again and again. I love every song these guys have put out.
    Revenger#11
    Probably one of the best album's i have ever heard, just amazingly talented musicians, all 5 of them.