Fortress review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
Protest the Hero: Fortress

Wow! Protest the Hero is the thinking man's Metal core. This album contains; Amazing Vocals, The Most Technical Guitar Work this side of BTBAM, Double Bass Galore and even bass tapping! In most metal core you can't even hear the bass! The songs change over within seconds, there is no standard verse, chorus, verse, bridge concept with PTH. There is diversity in every song. There are Piano Outros( Bone Marrow, Spoils), Arabian Intros(Bone Marrow), Pop Rock singalong choruses( Blood meat). They keep the breakdowns in the she'd and when they let them out they are brutal and heavy as ever. The liquid sweeps are just joy to the ears. I guarantee you WILL NOT get bored of this album.

Arif Mirabdolbaghi provides the lyrics for the album. They are mythological and war related talking about Gods and battles. An example from "Bloodmeat" Tomorrow they will find us, Hide the children free of sin, We will meet their blades by morning, Protected only by your skin The lyrics fit the music well, as the concept behind the album is Gods and Goddesses so that is what Arif writes about. Rody Walker is a machine. The man contributes all the vocals on this album. He can do melodic pop rock singalongs, high pitched shrieks and low guttural screams. He has a lot of variety but sticks to his normal high pitched "singing" voice for most of the album.

Musically, it compares to progressive/technical/math core type bands but Rody's voice really puts PTH in a league of it's own. I can't pick a favorite track but the three I don't like as much are; Spoils, Goddess Bound and Goddess Gagged. But they are still pretty good songs. I love almost everything about this album. Maybe the sweeps are just overused a touch but I still love everything about the guitar work. I would buy it again straight away. And these guys are only in there early 20's so I think these guys are the future of Metal core to come. This album is 40 something minutes of talent. Do not miss .

sexclamation
    All i have to say is that this band is definitely one of the best, most original bands out there right now, along with BTBAM. I wouldn't say that this band is metalcore. If you wanna be technical about it the only term that sort of suits them is emocore. The music is metal but the lyrics and vocal melodies are not. This album blows kezia out of the water, though, in technicality, riffage, and overall song structure. Kezia was a good debut album but it only set the stages for the epic joy ride that is landmark of a cd.
    zeroordie6868
    Rhody's vocals sound different than on Kezia because they use more distortion with his screams
    maiden666pwns
    I love(d) the human abstract, but ever since AJ left i dont even bother listening to their new stuff. Protest kicks alot more ass though.
    scarfacesuit
    Only one person commented on the Cat meowing at 3:30 on Wretch? It's one of the most random things I've ever heard, and yet I love it, haha!
    TheChaz
    metaldud536 wrote: inmytimeodying wrote: everyone thinks bone marrow isn't that great. it's wonderful, especially with the "dub" breakdown at the end. I think its awesome especially the piano bit at the end. "Protest The Hero is your typical progressive metalcore band with a hint of hardcore punk." -UG Team Thats a not a nice way to start an article about an album the UG Team says is good.
    Haha seriously. I didn't know there was such a thing as a "typical progressive metalcore band with a hint of hardcore punk."
    HasSMatT
    This album is incredibly awesome. 'The Dissentience' was the first song what i heard, from that moment i'm listening the whole album 24/7 - of course not, but PTH became my favourite band. 10/10 in my opinion.