Fortress review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
Protest the Hero: Fortress

My friend (shootthrough) recommended me "Sequoia Throne" back in 2008, and I hated it. But I got bored one day in the car, and decided to give it another go. I began to find myself listening to the intro again, and again. Soon I had found myself listening to the whole track on a regular basis. As the track progressed into the next track "Palms Read", I began listening to that aswell. This pattern soon followed into me listening to the whole album regularly, and Protest the Hero becoming my my second favourite band of all time. The sound has progressed from the fast punky sound of Kezia to a more melodic and technical full on blast from start to finish. However the relentless surge of energy is broken up into three movements, each divided by a short piano segment, and even an acoustic solo, which also show Protest the Hero's talent on other instruments. Speaking of PtH's talent, every member of the band is almost too talented to be possible. Rody Walker, the vocalist took weeks of intense training to reach the extreme highs such as "Heavens are Hellbent" and the extreme growling lows such as in Palms Read. Arif Mirabdolbaghi on bass delivers intense sweeping and tapping throughout the whole album, as well as popping in a solo or two himself. Moe Carlson's drumming is exhilirating with more cymbals than tracks on the album. His double bass pedal work is flawless as notable in "The Dissentience" Luke Hoskin (Lead Guitar) and Tim Millar (Rhythm Guitar) both compliment each other well, Tim often providing a solid rhythm for Luke to sweep and tap to, as well as filling in for some tapping and sweeping himself. "Bloodmeat" is the opening song, and illustrates all the bands elements in one song. A bass tapping solo, sweeping sections, and Rody's soothing and growling vocals are present in the song.

As mentioned already, Rody can reach every extent that a vocalist is physically possible of, and delivers in a unique style, the lyrics. The lyrics are written by the bassist Arif Mirabdolbaghi. He breaks the album up into three sections, "On Conquest and Capture" which is based upon myth and legends of such figures such as Genghis Khan and an ancient "King of Kings" who was eventually overthrown by his people. The next unnamed section is about soceity and its implications. Sequoia Throne introduces the theme that we ourselves may be more dangerous than any intergalactic invader, and Palms Read continues this with sweet harmonic lyrics leading into the brutal Limb from Limb which introduces the theme of Goddess worship into the album, and Spoils deals with how "Humans claim dominion" over everything on Earth. THe next movement "Isosceles" is close to its name. An Isosceles triangle has two sides the same, and one different. The movement consists of the songs "Wretch", "Goddess Bound", and "Goddess Gagged" which represent the triangle. The last segment is a no holds barred charge into brutal lyrics such as "Teach a man to tear her f***ing head from her Goddamn shoulders" Overall the lyrics are excellent, but "The Dissentience" and "Limb from Limb" need to be swapped around to fit into the sections of the album easier, as evident with the song names in the movement respectively.

My favourite band was, and still is Muse, but I dabbled in metal such as Trivium and Metallica. This shows how this album can really be recommended to anyone with a taste in music that lies in Metal and doesnt't mind trying something a little different. This album's like marmite. But it's a marmite that you can grow into and I strongly recommend it to any fans of any metal, technical or not.

ColdHeartedHero
    soope wrote: damn great band.. but i don't know.. in some way i liked kezia better "
    Thank you! Most of my friends seem to dislike Kezia and only like Fortress. I feel like Kezia is more emotional?!?!?!!? I think?
    Thedamondude
    I don't see why people define them (protest the hero) as metal core, they are really more of a Math-Core band with the way the put their elements of music together.