Fortress review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
Protest the Hero: Fortress

The most recent release of Protest The Hero, Fortress is a very strong album released by the young "math-core" band. It has influences of many styles, such as progressive, metal, and shred, and is a satisfying listen. It might take a listen or two to really get to like some of the songs, but they are definately worth a listen.

The lyrics, I will not lie, and a little weird at first. The style and the actual lyrics might take a while for a newer listener, but if you have listened to their first album, Kezia, these lyrics are from the same roots. However, the lyrics fit the music well, in a way BTBAM's newer releases do. The lyrics are sometimes thought provoking, and might lead you to think about possible meanings to the songs. As for singer skills, he is definately his own style, and while Kezia had a even balance of screams and clean vocals, this album has a few more screams than Kezia, which in my opinion, is a good thing.

This is a very strong release, showing development from this young band. It has a more refined sound that "Kezia" did, but has a similar feel, in a "Kill 'Em All" to "Ride The Lightning" kind of way. For me, standouts are: Bloodmeat, Bone Marrow, Sequoia Throne, Spoils, Wretch, and both the "Goddess" songs. I loved the progressive feel to it, the occasional piano/keyboard solo, and almost everything about this album. There are no cons to this album, it is spectacular. I would absolutely buy it again if it was misplaced. The songs are catchy, and this album is DEFINATELY worth a good listen.

ColdHeartedHero
    Thedamondude wrote: I don't see why people define them (protest the hero) as metal core, they are really more of a Math-Core band with the way the put their elements of music together.
    see cuz theyre not just MATH TECHNICAL MUSIC. it ****ing rules and grooves. so Im goin with groove-core.
    thor632
    sexclamation wrote: All i have to say is that this band is definitely one of the best, most original bands out there right now, along with BTBAM. I wouldn't say that this band is metalcore. If you wanna be technical about it the only term that sort of suits them is emocore. The music is metal but the lyrics and vocal melodies are not. This album blows kezia out of the water, though, in technicality, riffage, and overall song structure. Kezia was a good debut album but it only set the stages for the epic joy ride that is landmark of a cd.
    These guys were NEVER "emocore." That just sounds weak and gay, which these guys most definitely are not. Progressive metalcore is just fine for this band. Gives them a huge umbrella to make the music they want to make. These guys are amazing. Wish I could see them with Darkest Hour over in Europe.