Fortress review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Jan 29, 2008
Protest the Hero: Fortress

Amazingly technical and beautiful sounding album. I cannot tress how much I love the dueling guitar action in this album. There is plenty of very heavy in-your-face riffs to love, but what I really love about this album is the tapping and hammer-ons/pull-offs. The 8 finger tapping is one of the most amazing guitar techniques I have ever seen. Also, I really love the bass on this album. Too much these days do metal bands seem to drown out the bassists with the guitar sound. What really makes all these sounds all come together is the timing. Something is really amazing about hearing plenty of intense scales combined with powerchords all tied tied up with tons of shouting, then suddenly everything silence except a quick tapping riff. This album could have been just as good as an instrumental.

Remember what I said about this album being just as good as an instrumental? I lied. Rody Walker is an absolutely amazing vocalist. I am extremely shocked that a singer of this caliber doesn't have more recognition. This is a singer that has been called the "Hardcore Freddy Mercury". A title that is abslutely deserving. The versatility of this is just remarkeable. Let's be done with that though. Let's get down to talking about the lyrics. Wow, is all I can say. Actually, I can say alot more then wow. I'm going to leave it at wow though. Go listen, the main concept of this album is actually quite thought provoking.

I sadly haven't had the chance to listen to the other albums as much as this one. I'm hoping to be impressed. Some of the most impressive songs off this album would probably be... well way to hard to choose. Listen and choose yourself, I would however suggest Sequia Throne as a must listen. As I have said early, I absolutely love the lyrics and the time signatures in this song. Oh, and the duelling guitars... and the bass. I love it all. Amazing album and a must need. My only complaint would be the fact that this is a stricly intense album, no easy listening songs for that kind of mood.