Kezia review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Apr 4, 2006
Protest the Hero: Kezia

This could easily be one of the best indie albums ever released. The sound is unbelivable, and the music is very well constructed. Its a mix of punk/hardcore/metal (with obvious maiden influences) and screamo. It's apparently a story of a woman (Kezia) whose on death row and all the songs show points of view from Kezia, the prison guard and the prison priest. The singing on this album is simply amazing, the singer is obviously has skills and he shows it not only on the album but also on their live shows. If you listen to this album you would have a hard time believing that these guys were only 17 when they wrote all these songs.

The lyrics on all the songs make you think and are very metaphorical. Lines like "There is a you and I in union, but just an I in our beliefs, there is a crashing plane with a banner that reads everyones naive." The lyrics go very well with the music and you could obviously tell that they put in a lot of time to make these songs perfect. They go a long way from their early days when most of their lyrics were all political, now they have taken on a new road and are writing very inteligent and quite amazing lyrics.

The most impressive songs on the album and the songs I reccomend would have to be "Heretics & Killers," "Blindfolds Aside," "Nautical" and "Turn Soonest To The Sea." All the songs on the album are unbelivable but these are definetly some that stand out. What I love about this album is that everytime you listen to it the songs seem different and you always find something different about them that you love and you just find different meanings with the lyrics. If this album were stolen, I'd most definetly buy it again. I doubt it would be lost on the count of it not leaving my CD player for quite a long time.