Kezia review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Apr 4, 2006
Protest the Hero: Kezia

How can you really describe protest the hero, they have elements in their music that every band dreams of. Every song is laden with cool guitar single string riffs, a cool bass line and tricky time changes that make sure the listener never gets bored. In addition, Protest doesnt't't follow the basic verse, chorus, verse, chorus layout and instead have a number of different phases as I like to call them throughout the song in which the mood and the guitars and drum beats change, it's safe to say that listening to the whole CD through is not a very hard task. They usually don't stray from what the whole album is about, fast hard hitting rock, but when you hear it, you actually begin to understand that really you wouldn't want it anyother way, they stick to what they are good at and what they are good at is please a wide variety of head-banging air guitar fanatics, check out some of their guitar tabs, you'll soon regret that you did.

In Kezia they seem to be telling a story of a girl named Kezia who is on the verge of suicide, although her thought are often shown very clearly through the lyrics, they first three songs offer an insight to a religion, how much this has to do with the story, I don't really know. Like I said the album is broken into four parts, the first being about the whole religious thing, the second being about Kezia and introducing her I guess, the third being about the divine suicide of Kezia and the last part is one song that I guess just sums up the whole story that was told, it's a great CD for both the music and lyrical aspects.

This is definetly one of the best if not the very best of the fast alternative rock albums that I have ever listened to. Besides them being home grown here in Canada, I'm very glad to say that they dazzle with amazing musical skill. F--k if I lost it or it got stolen I would buy it again, in fact I would buy two just in case it would happen again, I have had the CD now for a couple months and I'm still not tired of listening to it, it's a great CD, now what are you waiting for check out their site www.protestthehero.com or just go buy the CD.

dimebag7
    leadshadow
    carterb wrote: This album is amazing all the way through. And the music video for Nautical is hilarious
    There's a Music Video for Nautical?
    xunholyknightx
    nuts man, these guys are nuts. I saw them open for My Chemical Romance in Vancouver Dec.10'05. They were awesome
    evilkow
    Of all the props I've seen here for the guitar/drums/vocals, I'm disappointed that no one has commented on Arif's insane bass work. Though it isn't very loud in the mix on the album, watching the guy play live is probably one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
    gign
    The vocals get a bit whiny at times, but for the most part, this album rocks my face. I have listened to it on and off since I got it. And that's quite a while. Usually I'd be bored after having such heavy rotation, but Kezia is different. It slays, that's all there is to it.
    metalfan#3
    KissingShadows wrote: ready4thebreak wrote: when i heard the intro to "killers and heretics" i was like dude theres no way THEY can sound emo. Then i listened and i was so disappointed. I dont see how triviums touring with.(but im not liking their new stuff either so....) Another thing I dont like about this band is though quizzical parts were the guitars start to sound all computerized and shit.(think into the moat and between the buried and me) With just those 2 things alone would distance me enough from the band. Its called sweep picking dumbass.
    Dude, there's no need to be so arrogant and stupid. Just correct him and move on with your day. I got the album yesterday, my God it's amazing.
    x0rsist
    Mathcore^. pure genius! off the wall stuff. insane. Awesome, Ear orgasm, melodies from heaven, lack of big long gay wankery solos replaced by short melodic harmonies and solos. What we need.
    deafening
    dimebag7 wrote: I wrote my review before anyone posted comments.. i hope they dont become all mainstream
    ur one of the gheybags that called them emo, because he can sing well? becuase there are some screams and growls? screaming gives good depth and feel to a song.. making it more emotional? yes. making it "emo"(in terms of the stereotypical definition)? not a chance. you sir, are what i like to call, an moron.
    seanjp7
    THEY DONT HAVE A VIDEO FOR NAUTICAL you're probably thinking of heretics and killers, how can you get them mixed up?
    dangerdan92
    they are pretty cool.. u can definately hear a iron maiden influence.. i realized that the first song i heard from them on here.. i saw em live too and i think they are great
    dangerdan92
    i bought it before i went on vacation so it i was siitin out by the ocean listenin to it. it was definately the soundtrack to my vacation lol
    Metalhead45
    MOST AMAZING BAND EVER! FORTRESS COMING SOON! CANT WAIT! These guys are one of canadas best small-time bands, and are very unheard of, which aslo makes them slightly more enjoyable to listen to. This album is like a soundtrack to my life.
    C&C Magik
    ^I think i'm the only person at my 1500 person school who listens to them regularly. They are very unheard of, i must agree. I just listened to the whole album recently, and i'm amazed, i just hope fortress can hold up to kezia.
    AnxietyAngel
    This Band Is Friggen Nuts, They Fuckin' Shred With Ease. My fave. Songs Are Heretics & Killers, Divinty Within And Blindfolds Aside. I Wish These Guys Would Come And Play In Edmonton!!
    KissingShadows
    Its called sweep picking dumbass.
    ready4thebreak
    Nor'Easterbass
    i love this band, so original and it's refreshing. i heard them on music choice metal channel and was like "What?!". good shit. a little weird at times, but the singer kills and the song/riff writing is real original, like i said. i disagree tho with the genre saying JUST punk. They certainly have metal in them. no question.
    Nor'Easterbass
    creed110 wrote: bryan j wrote: why does every idiot on this site hear a person who doesnt growl and call them emo. narrow minded idiots, its not emo in the slightest. my 2nd favourite band, only to bodom, which is an enormous accomplishment wtf, i doubt every1 thinks metallica or dream theater or iced earth are emo, because they dont growl
    He has a point. people here on UG tend to be eager to question a band's "metal-ness" if they don't scream everything and i want to remind them all to look at Black Sabbath, one of the creator's of metal...no screaming. Screaming was brought into metal by hardcore. lol.
    ThereGoesMyHero
    I own this album and the EP before it, and saw them live a few days ago. They are definitely one of my favourite bands. The lyrics are awesome, Rody is an amazing singer, the guitars are nuts, the drumming is insane.
    ululation
    BRandGraffin
    the guitars start to sound computerized...i guess that can be a positive comment for the band stating that the guitaring is precise and can only be mimicked by a computer...or Yngwie ha. i think the whole world is starting to put "screaming" into metal and "singing" into emo genres. but Rody told me he loves metal riffs and just wanted to sing so people can understand him. Axl Rose sings "higher pitched" and so does Freddie Mercury and Bruce Dickenson and in no means are they considered emo. that genre wasnt created until the late 90s. aside from rating the cd, these guys have so much spunk and energy its insane. spend 15 bucks and see them with trivium, even if its only just to see them, it will be worth every penny.
    claudman
    ululation wrote: hey i listened to like 3 of these guys songs (blindfolds aside, heretics and killers, and divinity within) and i love them... im thinking about listening to the whole album but i want to know sum good songs.. btw im the kind of person who likes lyrics that take foreveer to understand and a lot of harmony in the guitar work
    every songs a good song but the divine sucide of k is really good
    Tedward
    ya these guys have a pretty good live show. they made the A7x show worth the 35 bucks. i like the music, and the lead guitar part sounds really cool. and these guys arent emo, they are 'mathcore' and punk, they wrote all the music before they could play it and forced themselves to learn it.
    x_pth_x
    Anyone who thinks my man Rody is emo and shitty, needs to meet him and get a nice kick in the nuts from him. They went from playing in a shit club that couldn't hold more then 200 people, to arena's with a7x, next trivium, then as i lay dying and bullet for my valentine. I think the people who give the vocals the critism are just retarded and obviously did not really listen to the album. Oh and by the way its HERETICS AND KILLERS and A PLATEFUL OF OUR DEAD. I'm startin to wonder if these clowns even buy the album or just read other comments and try to change it to make it there own. You people put the ouche in douche.
    Y-y-yeah
    saw them live. AWESOME. I didn't even know who they were, just that they were opening for trivium, and i was listening to them and i was thinking "i think they are going to be one of my new favorite bands." and the singer is hilarious onstage
    Anasazi_Soldier
    This cd is AMAZING!!! I saw them recently at a theatre in Maryland. Rody put it all out there, and the bassist was just INSANE! I love this album, it has such a great sound and meaning.
    CheifSlapAhoe
    Wow that last review is terrible Emo-ness isnt a word The singer is good and he sounds even better live.
    claudman
    Smitty101 wrote: Very good band... but Reviewer, This band isnt punk DUH!!!!
    they use to be did you ever lsiten to their really old stuff or a calulated use of sound?