Scurrilous review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Mar 22, 2011
Protest the Hero: Scurrilous

Right from the opening track you are punched in the face with the technical prowess that you have come to expect from Protest. This album definitely does not disappoint. However there are some changes from thier previous albums, one of these changes being Rodys vocals. There are alot less harsh vocals on this album, however Rody sings his ass off the entire time. Everybody is in top form. Theres definitely alot of 'wanking' on the guitars, more so then Fortress, and it might be too much for the casual listener in some places, but thats PTH for ya. I also found that the course of 'Termites' is almost a throwback to thier punk roots.

The lyrics are very different from past Protest albums, due of course to Rody taking the helm of writting the lyrics. Arif still wrote a couple of the songs however, and while I personally miss the conceptual themes I have come to love from Protest, the new album does not disappoint. Instead of lyrics about aliens, Gengis Khan, and Irish mythology, we are given songs about more personal topics such as cancer (Tandem), suicide (C'est La Vie), the bands early days (Dunsel), and a song called Sex Tapes, which is pretty self explanitory.

Scurrilous is definitely a beast of its own, very different from past albums, however still very Protest. I recommend listening to the album from start to finnish, multiple times, but if I had to recommend a few songs, I would say Termites, Sex Tapes, Dunsel, Hair-Spliter, and Hair-Trigger. I would also like to mention that fans of Kezia will be glad to hear a familiar voice on 'Hair-Splitter'.