Scurrilous review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Mar 22, 2011
Protest the Hero: Scurrilous

I love Protest the Hero. For those of you who don't know, their a Canadian progressive metal/mathcore. They have both long songs and shorts song, which do not fail to impress. Their progressive side comes out in their longer songs, which feature fast and technical guitar riffs, solos, and two-handed tapping sections, as well as two-handed bass tapping and solos as well. Their mathcore side is easily recognizable; hectic song structures make it hard to keep up with the band at first, but after a few listens it'll be easier to listen to and enjoy.

I liked the lyrics. I wouldn't change them, to be honest. They do match up with the band's sound, which is a good thing. A big change is the absence of Rody's screaming and death growls. The bands I listen to incorporate a lot of unclean vocals into their music, so I'm used to it, but it's also a nice change to get away from all that for a bit, which is way I like this album so much. In one of the songs, Rody screams/growls in a small part of the song "Tapestry", which is similiar to the "Da da da dada" part in "Bloodmeat". It isn't bad, either. Other than that, there's only singing, which is really impressive. His high's are amazing, which is a good quality that stands out.

Their a pretty good progressive band, but they don't come anywhere near Dream Theater. The main and most important difference between the two is that Dream Theater is much more calm and composed with their instrumental parts, which are long, by the way. Protest the Hero's are fast riffs, solos and tapping, changing time signatures and are generally chaotic, though enjoyable. To sum it up, Dream Theater is a band that you could listen to to sort of relax and chill out to while Protest the Hero is something that hypes you up and makes you want to mosh and run all over the place. I'd have to say that "Tapestry", "The Reign of Unending Terror", "Tongue-Splitter", and "Sex Tapes" are my favorites. I love the band's song in this one. Most of the songs aren't as fast as the one's on Fortress, and depending on the listening, might be good or bad. Again, Rody's vocals are amazing, and it's good to hear him take a break from screaming, although I do miss it a bit. If it were lost or stolen, I would get it again. I have it on iTunes though so I'm good when it comes to that issue.

theflyingapple
    fortress and kezia grabbed me immediately, but this just doesnt do it... i know the album will grow on me but so far its a disappointment
    Omnisyn
    If you're more in to their tech metal and progressive side, you'll know that this is their tightest, most well structured album to date. Watchmaker precision on this album
    Hells.Mascot
    Snowman388 wrote: I don't like this track by track reviewing.
    Agreed. If you plan on listening to the album itself, they are quite useless.
    futurama_rules
    Seriously... does nobody get the meanings of these songs?!?!?! Hair Trigger is about quitting smoking... Sex tapes...is about sex tapes...not the Jonas Brothers dying, or them realizing you leaked their album...the leak that they're referring to is Sex tapes... Personally, I think the lyrics this time around are deeper than ever, I wish it was a concept album, but you can't deny that the lyrics although ramblings, have a purpose.