Scurrilous review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Mar 22, 2011
Protest the Hero: Scurrilous

Protest The Hero's 4th studio album "Scurrilous" really shows a strong music maturity. Showcasing the riffs and technicality fans love while moving away from keys and synths making for a very intense album. The album itself is a style of its own on the fence between punk and metal. I don't know any other band with a sound so refined and individual. Rody Walker took the lead in lyrical themes with Arif taking a back seat; a first for the band. Luke took over as full time lead guitarist with Tim taking over full rhythm duties making for a much more complete album and sound.

The lyrics are probably the most controversial aspect of this album. Original main lyricist (bassist) Arif Mirabdolbaghi stated he just didn't feel like doing it anymore; claiming he wanted to focus on his instrumentals and had become bored of writing. This caused singer Rody Walker to take over the duties. The album is much less metaphorical and thought inducing. Not to say this is a bad thing; Rody's lyrics are much more in tune with the punk scene and show a more raw; simplistic but forceful style. The only comparison I can make would be to go from a University Poli-Sci class and go back to grade 10 music class. Where you and your bandmates write about personal issues and feelings more then global topics. I personally like it more because of the relevant topics. Cancer is touched upon in tandem; relationships in hair trigger; suicide in "C'Est La Vie" and many more topics you can relate to without citing a thesaurus and "songmeaningsDOTcom". Singing style is very much original with Rody's trademark sound. Some people found it much less varied in tones but I personally find it fits with the songs perfectly. Some memorable lyrics from a deep yet plain English Rody lyrics are: "Stepped off a chair; so he could learn to let loose". "This isn't about her father or brother; just a few simple words so she knows that I love her." "I've gotta get back to where I was; before my last ten years on autopilot".

This album is probably my favorite album of all time up to this present date. My favorite songs would be "Tapestry" and "Tongue-Splitter". I love the guitar work; as a guitar player myself it was like getting the sweetest candies when I bought the tab book. Not only is it incredible fun to play their stuff it will undoubtedly improve your technical prowess. I would buy this CD as many times as I could manage to lose it... Which I haven't done yet thank god!