Volition review by Protest the Hero

• Released: Oct 29, 2013
Protest the Hero: Volition

First of all, I would like to inform you that I am a purebred, 100 percent fanboy of PTH. Anyways, let's get started. Rody Walker. The lead singer of prog. Metal band Protest the Hero, Walker has serious skills as a singer, able to hit frequencies only dogs can hear before dropping down to the meanest earth-shaking growls. An absolutely incredible singer, he gives the band character, as well as separating them from the rest of the music-scene. The sound is great, with bassist Arif really-confusing-last name carrying the rapidly changing licks the guitarists give out on a constant basis, with fill-in drummer Chris Adler providing for some serious beats. Overall, great sound, serious skills here.

As a whole, PtH has serious poetical skills, as evident since their concept album Kezia was released. While slightly cryptic, once you unlock their lyrics meanings will you then truly appreciate their music, as each song spits out words that give ME goosebumps every time, without fail. While some songs are a bit too obvious (we're looking at you, "A Life Embossed"), most are beautifully rendered to give a thoughtful and musical insight on the topics they explore, ranging from the churches view on gay marriage to Newfoundland to anti-bullying.

Overall, their best album yet, taking the poetical insight from Kezia with their metal-influence from "Fortress" and combining that with the serious guitar work from Scurrilous. Volition is a fantastic album, with the souring lyrics from "Yellow Teeth" to insane melodies from "Drumhead Trial," as well as the greatest bass solo I've ever heard from "Without Prejudice" (seriously, listen to it), this album is packed with surprises. I love everything about it, like the fact that it's months later and I'm still not bored with it. I suppose if you aren't a fan of this kind of music, you won't like it. It's metal without the roughness that is expected with it; it's perfect for people like me, that like lyrics and poetry with serious chops alongside it. It's an acquired taste, and because of that it's necessary to say they might never become as big as I would like, because they occupy such an obscure niche it would be difficult to become a large band.

So that's all, just a review from the point of view of a huge fan who has no experience what so ever with writing reviews. Give 'em a listen!

Ethan_Glaud
    Just found out that Ron Jarzombek of Blotted Science played some guitar on Drumhead Trial, so shout out to him. He's an incredible guitarist and i'm happy he got to play with PTH