Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs In 3D review by Psychostick

• Released: Aug 16, 2011
Psychostick: Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs In 3D

Psychostick is like a metal version of Weird Al. The songs are interesting musically and don't seem to really get old. Before listening to "Space Vampires" I think the only Psychostick song I had heard before was the "Beer Song". Mostly the music stays in the realm of metal, with brief forays into hard rock and a few weird detours into other genres for brief moments. From what I've read the album was written with everyone figuring everything out vocally imitating their instruments and recording them on iPhones and then working out the instrumentation later. It seems to be a method that has worked for them.

The lyrics are just over the top ridiculous in a good way. The lyrics are put together very well, and the vocal delivery is tailored for the best impact at every second of vocal delivery. The vocal style ranges pretty widely throughout the song going from a regular singing voice to some death metal growls. A few times the vocal delivery reminds me a lot of several Primus songs. A lot of the lyrics are also delivered as spoken word. Again, the lyrics and vocal delivery are just right. Awesome. The vocalist doesn't have a great voice, necessarily, but it is just right for what they are doing.

Several years ago, a long time ago, there was a band called Green Jelly and that is maybe the closest I can find to any group as far as the lyrics go.

"Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs In 3D" seems like the perfect album for a road trip to me just because it is heavy enough to keep me moving down the road and the lyrics are so entertaining that it keeps you actively listening. The music is mostly original but ventures into spoofs as well. Most recognizable is a spoof of "Bodies" by Drowning Pool and a spoof of "Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson. I wish I had discovered Psychostick a long time ago because they are absolutely hilarious and musically interesting.

My favorite songs are "Hate Times", "Because Boobs", and "The Root Of All Evil". There really aren't any songs I don't like on here, but if I had to pick the weakest tunes it would be "Methane Crescendo" and "My Clingy Girlfriend". I listened to their previous album releases and I do think that "Space Vampires" does an awesome job at equaling and occasionally exceeding their past work. I look forward to future releases from Psychostick.

Shashi_Cloud
    "my eyes are up here" "yeah but your boobs are down there"... that is going to be my excuse from now on.
    JCPrevenge
    Awesome album. My only qualm is that it wasn't as long as "Sandwich" or "We Couldn't Think..."
    teknoman
    Zombie Dinosaurs!?... how awesome is that?, somebody should give those guy some kind of award.
    fender4string
    I've gotta check this out. I actually played a show with these guys a few years back. Nice guys, hilarious, and really talented.
    elya-lp
    This album have a great taste!!! like Sandwich!! listen 100000 times!!!
    Jon777
    Listened to Because Boobs a while back, and it was awesome. Definitely gonna check this out.
    sutchy
    Gotta love when bands release albums in stealth mode. I have downloaded this and will listen to it countless times.
    Tim the Rocker
    How can you review an album only listening to it 2 days and knowing none about the previous except Beer!!! ? Awesome title is awesome.