Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs In 3D Review

Psychostick: Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs In 3D
Released: Aug 16, 2011
Genre: Humorcore, Metalcore, Hardcore
Label: Rock Ridge Music
This is the third full length album release by Psychostick and continues to stay true to the genre they helped to create, Humor-core. It is a breath of fresh air to find a band making good heavy music that don't take themselves too seriously.
 8.6
 9.1
review (1) 22 comments vote for this album:
Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs In 3D Featured review by: UG Team, on august 18, 2011

Sound: Psychostick is like a metal version of Weird Al. The songs are interesting musically and don't seem to really get old. Before listening to "Space Vampires" I think the only Psychostick song I had heard before was the "Beer Song". Mostly the music stays in the realm of metal, with brief forays into hard rock and a few weird detours into other genres for brief moments. From what I've read the album was written with everyone figuring everything out vocally imitating their instruments and recording them on iPhones and then working out the instrumentation later. It seems to be a method that has worked for them. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are just over the top ridiculous in a good way. The lyrics are put together very well, and the vocal delivery is tailored for the best impact at every second of vocal delivery. The vocal style ranges pretty widely throughout the song going from a regular singing voice to some death metal growls. A few times the vocal delivery reminds me a lot of several Primus songs. A lot of the lyrics are also delivered as spoken word. Again, the lyrics and vocal delivery are just right. Awesome. The vocalist doesn't have a great voice, necessarily, but it is just right for what they are doing.

Several years ago, a long time ago, there was a band called Green Jelly and that is maybe the closest I can find to any group as far as the lyrics go. // 9

Overall Impression: "Space Vampires VS Zombie Dinosaurs In 3D" seems like the perfect album for a road trip to me just because it is heavy enough to keep me moving down the road and the lyrics are so entertaining that it keeps you actively listening. The music is mostly original but ventures into spoofs as well. Most recognizable is a spoof of "Bodies" by Drowning Pool and a spoof of "Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson. I wish I had discovered Psychostick a long time ago because they are absolutely hilarious and musically interesting.

My favorite songs are "Hate Times", "Because Boobs", and "The Root Of All Evil". There really aren't any songs I don't like on here, but if I had to pick the weakest tunes it would be "Methane Crescendo" and "My Clingy Girlfriend". I listened to their previous album releases and I do think that "Space Vampires" does an awesome job at equaling and occasionally exceeding their past work. I look forward to future releases from Psychostick. // 8

- Brandon East (c) 2011