Come Clean review by Puddle of Mudd

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Puddle of Mudd: Come Clean

Doesn't Wesley Scantlin sound like a cross between Chad Kroeger and Kurt Cobain? Sounds that way to me at least. In which case, good job he got a band together and made a record! Puddle of Mudd's debut album "Come Clean" downright rocks! With the opening track "Control", the raw, energetic Scantlin delivers this song right to your front door, in the best manner possible. Followed by "Drift & Die" and "Out Of My Head", the album just gets better and better! And then it happens. "Blurry" and "She Hates Me" are the show-stopping songs that make it all worth while. One mellow, one jagged at the edges, they both tell us all what Puddle Of Mudd are all about: a mixture of grunge, rock and nu metal. The solution is bliss to the ears!

The lyrics are top notch to say the least. On "Blurry" especially, the lyrics tell of Wesley's son that he never sees, making for a great listen, and is thought provoking at the same time. Along with "She hates me" and "Control", these songs are not your average. Nope, this is grunge reborn, as hatred is enfused into your hearts (along witha healthy dose of sympathy) as you listen to these songs.

Is it better than "Life On Display?" Of course it is. "Come Clean" is the best Puddle Of Mudd album (not so big an achievement seeing as though they have only produced two records), because of it's abrasive energy. "She Hates Me", "Control" and "Blurry" are the best tracks on the album, as they are the most anthemic. The guitar licks and vocals are downright exquisite! Buy this album, it is totally worth it!

Sickhick
    I've had this c.d. for years and I always thought Blurry was about a girl. I guess I was wrong.
    fendercobain87
    this whole album was great i bought it when i was 13 now im 22 to bad their oter albums sucked but come clean was when they were at thier peak, the guitar work was very good and the lyrics where awsome, you'll never get another album like this again, wesley now ripps off nirvana with famous but come clean was pure ****ing genius